Peugeot Forums banner

here we go.............again

10K views 53 replies 15 participants last post by  m8dave 
#1 ·
Well i suspect my latest 407 is a write off :mad:
A neighbour hammered on my door at midnight shouting that someone had hit my car and was lying on the road injured ( probably a good idea to lie down on the road after hitting my car).
Any he was trying to t-bone the house a few doors up and missed cos his mates dragged on the wheel and he hit my car on the o/s rear, moving it forward a good 8 feet and pushing it onto the kerb
Damage thats apparent
rear bumper
rear light
black plastic bits from wheel/arch/under bumper
o/s rear quarter panel is all bent/scratched
but the most important bit is im pretty certain the wheel has moved forwards, Not an accurate measurement i know but i can fit 4 fingers between wheel and arch on n/s but only 3 fingers on the offside.

waiting for it to be recovered for assessment and will keep you updated as and when

#3 ·
yep you did read correctly :lol: broke up with his girlfriend and swigging from a bottle of vodka !! If he had managed to hit the house he would have pushed my son's 106 into it,so either way we were getting trashed.

#5 ·
His mates in the car couldnt have been more helpful to the police, i suspect it was a very scary few seconds for them.
i think the car is a write off as i'm 99% certain the axle has been pushed forward

#12 ·
Damage

Hi trem sorry to hear about your recent 407s demise especially as you replaced your other 407 not so long ago remember you were gutted to lose the other one you must be double gutted now as you were getting this car the way you wanted it. Condolences pete407sw.:nono:

#13 ·
Well i just phoned the recovery firm/garage where its being repaired, and the girl on the phone went silent when i asked for an update :rolleyes: and said i need to speak to my insurance company :(
Guess its a write off then

#18 ·
you slept through the whole incident and it was right under your bedroom window :lol:

Reactions: pete407sw
#17 ·
All insurance companies say they won't pay out more than the value of the car. I've also been told that if the cost of repair is anywhere over 60% the value of the car then the insurance will write it of as beyond economical repair. Trouble is that the insurance companies idea of a cars value is a whole lot less than the selling price of the same make, model, year with similar mileage and pre accident condition.

#19 ·
so how much do we think i will get offered for my car then ??
2006 saloon with 89k and yes ive looked on parkers :mad:

#20 ·
Well for a 2.0 HDi:
If you're not fussy then you can go out and buy one right now for £1500. Therefore this :mad:

£2500 seems to be about the minimum for one that you would mind being written off, and there some fools asking over £4000.

I reckon you'd want £3k to be able to replace roughly like for like (and go fetch it and tax it) without having to work hard to find one.

#22 ·
we have thought about changing from the 407 recently but couldnt decide on a suitable replacement and as this needs to be replaced quickly i would rather stay with the devil i know rather than changing to say a Saab which i dont know the common faults etc, with time i could of course look into different cars common issues but as the courtesy car goes back in 2 days and i will be without my own transport,speed is important. I'm well aware of the issues that 407's have and will be taking my eldest (actually he's driving so he's taking me)son (407xjr) and he knows lots as well. Normally when we buy a car myself and Kev look at the car mechanically/electrics and Mrs T checks out the interior for rips/stains etc and any bodywork blemish's we may have missed. Besides if i dont like it i can always sell it and buy something different later on.

Now before Kev or Steve point this out yes i realise i have never sold a peugeot as my last 3 :eek: yep 3 have all been written off

406 drove through a ford = water knackered the engine

407 hit twice from the rear whilst i had it, first by a yaris second fatal hit by a ford StreetKa

407 hit by a drunk driver in a clio

#27 ·
yea i noticed the description,but after reading oodles on autotrader they must just copy/paste the description as they are identical

#29 ·
I know it won't help but you're not alone.

I had company cars for nearly 30 years but when I was made redundant December 2011 the new job didn't come with a car. I'm now on my fourth car since February 2012. Current 307 was purchased in May 2013. First car was written off by someone who should have had his licence taken off him around the start of the Boar war when he got too old to be driving, the second had major malfunctions and the third was written off by some blind woman who should have let her Labrador drive the car for her.

This car has lasted almost as long as the other three put together so we just look at it as though this one was the car we were meant to have - maybe your next one will last a while longer.

#30 ·
So Sunday went like this (briefly)
heading south we were passing Wetherby where there was a very nice 2006 burgundy Sw overpriced at £3500, nice car told him i wouldnt pay more than £3k and i might ring him back

On to Doncaster (Armthorpe) and a 57 plate Iron Grey Sw priced at £3200 Pile of shite walked away

Over to Conisbourgh (twas Mexborough really so made sure kevs car was locked) at a 56 plate Sw with sat-nav and a new clutch/flywhhel fitted by the dealer priced at £3200. It stunk inside and despite having a new clutch the pedal didnt feel right and it wouldnt go into reverse without a lot of pushing on the gearstick..........walked away.

So popped into see my mam/dad in carcoft and i remebered seeing an ebay ad for an Sw 30 miles away from home so as we were passing we thought we'd have a peep through the gates and see if it was worth a trip down on monday.was 7pm when we got there and the place was closed (no surprises There) but Sarah my daughter-in-law went all Miss Marple and concluded the fence around the garage was the same as the fence around the house next to it so the owner might live there and a quick phone call later and the owner was there in seconds. Lovely man/Lovely car and i'm happy to say its mine now. Collected it this morning because of lack of proper insurance and its been fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.