Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys a bit of help on this one would be much appriciated.

I as most of you probably know have a 3.0 v6 2001 607. This morning after driving for about an hour a water hose burst. I noticed the oil temp gauge had been leaning a little to the right for the last few days but the water temp needle was were it should be. Yesterday while filling with petrol I noticed a puddle forming under the car and on inspection it has come through the cap of the water bottle, obviously there is massive pressure on the water system, any ideas on the cause?

Thanks,

Tony.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the coolant sensor looks ok on the dash I'd rises steadily until it reaches about 90 degrees or right in the middle. I was thinking the thermostat alright. But the funny thing is the oil temp gauge doesn't keep going up it is just running slightly higher than normal. Could that still be the thermostat?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Iamtony said:
the coolant sensor looks ok on the dash I'd rises steadily until it reaches about 90 degrees or right in the middle. I was thinking the thermostat alright. But the funny thing is the oil temp gauge doesn't keep going up it is just running slightly higher than normal. Could that still be the thermostat?
alright mate, the temp for the oil could vary and it depends on various factors.. such a how old it is, what kind have you used etc etc..

I use the Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 in mine, its around £16 a litre.. and trust me mate, since the day I have started using it, I have had nae worries..

what we use at the garages is the big gallons of GM motor oil.. good but not as good as Shell Helix Ultra..

wrt your concern about the pressure building up in the water system... start your car in the morning and leave it running for about 15 mins without the cap on the water resovior.. that should eliminate the pressure issue.. thats why its said that after replacing the coolant or when a pipe is burst.. start the engine and then fill in, which eliminates the pressue/vacum issue..

good luck, let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi guys thanks for the help. I'll order the hose tomorrow and try all suggested methods, and let you know how I get on. I don't have much money at the moment and I can't afford to give it to a garage to sort.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Iamtony said:
Hi guys thanks for the help. I'll order the hose tomorrow and try all suggested methods, and let you know how I get on. I don't have much money at the moment and I can't afford to give it to a garage to sort.
dont worry about it mate.. I do it all the time.. put the hose on.. fill it up a wee bit and start the engine and then fill it up with coolant.. then leave the cap off for 10 to 15 minutes.. and keep toppin up coolant until its stable..

good luck..

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok after peugeot letting me down and telling me the hose wont be available until Next tuesday in France I sourced a piece of hose today and got that on. So I used Scotcruise's method for filling the car and while in the middle of that the engine starter to behave erratically and I got the message "engine antipollution system faulty" on the dash board. So I couldnt figure this out, and after a while it started acting normal again. So I watched it for a while and the fan is kicking in and out and the coolant was overflowing out of the expansion bottle but I think this is normal yes? And when I topped up and closed the cap, then the fun started!!

I could hear a loud hissing noise coming from the engine and after struggling to get the car home I took off the air filter pipe and the unit that allows air in wasn't moving at all(its like a modern day Carburettor) and the car wouldn't start at all. So I jammed the butterfly thing open a little with a screwdriver and it started, but sounded like a 6 litre Mustang of something. So I unplugged it played with the fuses, making sure there all tight and it started to work again when I plugged it back in.

Would this be the cause of the engine antipollution light on?

Would this of had the temperature running to high? because of an imbalance of the air/fuel mix?

Again thanks for any help guys(especially scot cruise your the man!!)

Regards,

Tony.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Iamtony said:
Ok after peugeot letting me down and telling me the hose wont be available until Next tuesday in France I sourced a piece of hose today and got that on. So I used Scotcruise's method for filling the car and while in the middle of that the engine starter to behave erratically and I got the message "engine antipollution system faulty" on the dash board. So I couldnt figure this out, and after a while it started acting normal again. So I watched it for a while and the fan is kicking in and out and the coolant was overflowing out of the expansion bottle but I think this is normal yes? And when I topped up and closed the cap, then the fun started!!

I could hear a loud hissing noise coming from the engine and after struggling to get the car home I took off the air filter pipe and the unit that allows air in wasn't moving at all(its like a modern day Carburettor) and the car wouldn't start at all. So I jammed the butterfly thing open a little with a screwdriver and it started, but sounded like a 6 litre Mustang of something. So I unplugged it played with the fuses, making sure there all tight and it started to work again when I plugged it back in.

Would this be the cause of the engine antipollution light on?

Would this of had the temperature running to high? because of an imbalance of the air/fuel mix?

Again thanks for any help guys(especially scot cruise your the man!!)

Regards,

Tony.
right tony.. first off.. dont panic.. the car is behaving the way it should.. the anti pollution waring will go off after three starts so dont worry about it,..

The water over flows, its normal.. means that the water pump is fully functional good news.

The fans kick in, again good news.. what I want to ask is did you notice both fast and low speed fans kicking in ?

also anti pollution warning kicks in due to the pressure, its perfectley normal as the cap was off.. now you wont have any vacum issues.. replace the cap.. and it would be fine.. use carburatter cleaner to ease up the butterfly its shouldnt be stuck..

not quite understand what you mean by the 6 litre mustang ? do you with the carburator thing off? its normal..

the issue you are having is due to pressure/temperature.. you get the warning sign because the ecu is working exactly how it should nothing to worry..

cheers

Scot

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi scot,

Your a life saver I think everyone who visits this site owes you a great deal of gratitude for your time spent helping us all.

Regarding your question about the fans, I'm not too sure if both speeds are coming in I'll try keep an eye on it tomorrow. At the moment with the a/c on the fan kicks in about once per minute and stays on for about 5-10 seconds. Then about every 5-10 minutes it kicks in and stays on for quite a while.

The carb looking thing which I believe now to be an air mass sensor is working fine I think the wires were just loose or something but time will tell. And I hope it's not on the way out because it looks expensive!!

My reference to the 6 litre mustand was the sound coming from it with the butterfly held open slighly sounded like an American muscle car that's all:)

Thanks again,

Tony.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi scot,

I've been observing the fans for the last couple of days, and have noticed only the low speed seems to kick in. Another thing I noticed is, in the past when I was sitting at lights with the aircon on the car used to jump forward a little when the fan kicked in. I think this could of been due to the air mass sensor being loose because if I had the bonnet up and the fans kicked in I could here a suction noise and the engine would shake.

Hope this helps!

:)

Tony.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Iamtony said:
Hi scot,

I've been observing the fans for the last couple of days, and have noticed only the low speed seems to kick in. Another thing I noticed is, in the past when I was sitting at lights with the aircon on the car used to jump forward a little when the fan kicked in. I think this could of been due to the air mass sensor being loose because if I had the bonnet up and the fans kicked in I could here a suction noise and the engine would shake.

Hope this helps!

:)

Tony.
PM'd you few days ago bigman.. did you manage to fix it ??

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just replied to you a few minutes ago. Thanks. Also I am investing in a new car(well actually a vw caravelle for work) and am getting rid of the 607. Any offers?
I can put the car on a boar for collection at the port in hollyhead if anyone in interested. It needs some work though but would be great for spate parts.
At the moment it needs
Shocks
A tyre
Brake pads
Brake disks
2 window regulators
A cooling fan
Possible some other small problems
Oh yeah a new passenger side mirror( or at the least a sheet of glass and a cap.
A few scratches removed.
Belts changed and a good service.

It is delph blue(navy) 3.0 v6 2001 with 112000 miles on the clock.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Iamtony said:
Just replied to you a few minutes ago. Thanks. Also I am investing in a new car(well actually a vw caravelle for work) and am getting rid of the 607. Any offers?
I can put the car on a boar for collection at the port in hollyhead if anyone in interested. It needs some work though but would be great for spate parts.
At the moment it needs
Shocks
A tyre
Brake pads
Brake disks
2 window regulators
A cooling fan
Possible some other small problems
Oh yeah a new passenger side mirror( or at the least a sheet of glass and a cap.
A few scratches removed.
Belts changed and a good service.

It is delph blue(navy) 3.0 v6 2001 with 112000 miles on the clock.
Shocks - £95 each + labour
A tyre - £65 cheapest + fitting + balancing + valve
Brake pads - £25 + fitting
Brake disks - £95 each + fitting
2 window regulators - £150 each + fitting
A cooling fan - £142 (see attachment on PM)
Possible some other small problems - could be anything
Oh yeah a new passenger side mirror( or at the least a sheet of glass and a cap. - around £85
A few scratches removed. £ could be anything
Belts changed and a good service. £450 for timing belt kit and atleast £299 for service at your current mileage

bigman.. as much as I love 607's I'd reckon you trade it in..

PS. see PM

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.