Peugeot Forums banner

help with gearbox oil change, peugeot 307 2.0 hdi 90 bhp

25K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Will Leigh 
#1 ·
Can anyone help with gearbox oil change? Change ball joint and pulled shaft a bit, and oil drained, about a litre. Bought a new one and have no idea where to fill it? Maybe someone has a picture or something?

Thank a lot!!

#4 ·
Quick way to top up gearbox oil...

Hi All, Guess this is too late to reply to this thread but may be useful for others in the future.
I had exactly the same problem happen to me while replacing the ball joint, shaft popped out and lost about 0.5L of oil.
Haynes say you have to take off the airbox and battery tray but I found an easier way. My 307 doesn't have an engine under tray. Jacked up the nearside front, with the wheel on, and put an axle stand in the appropriate place. loosened the gearbox fill plug (needed a 20mm socket with a 2" extension - used a 13/32" deep socket) which is located at 2 o'clock position on the end plate of the gearbox. i had to flex the plastic inner wheel arch a little to gain access with the wrench. Take out the plug and catch any oil spillage. To top up i used an 8mm clear plastic air line stuck into the filler spout of the 1 litre bottle of gear oil. This fits into the top up hole a treat. I managed to squeeze the bottle from beneath the car to fill the gearbox but you may be able to route it from above. I filled until oil started to pour out of the filler hole. Then i lowered the car back on to the floor and let more oil pour out. loosely fitted the plug, jacked up the car and tightened the plug properly.
Took me 1/2 hour tops. I think the Haynes way would have taken over an hour and you still have an issue of access to the filler hole.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.