Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all , I have a bit of an issue,and I hope someone who knows more than me can help , basically I bought my girlfriend a 308cc ,it is a 2009 and I still the gt100 if that matters, it has JBL badged speakers on the door ,and an rd4 head unit which simply says MP3 on the face ., and the last 8 of her vin are 9so37096.
Now that is all out of the way , my issue is I wanted to install Bluetooth so I know that she is able to have a bit of a safer journey ,and also so she can stream music from her phone , I bought and installed one of the connects2 adaptors to begin with ,and had the changer port enabled ,which was absolutely appalling sound quality .

So decided to replace the head unit ,and bought a Kenwood Bluetooth head unit,along with the connects2 fascia,reverse sensor and steering control adaptor,and also the Kenwood patch lead and fakra adaptor .
Installed all this on Friday , only to find hat I have absolutely no sound, it is coming from the head unit as I connected a speaker directly to the head unit,and that plays fine, spoke to the audio shop I bought the adaptors from who said that the car has a amplifier fitted from factory ,and simply to find the switched 12v feed from the Peugeot harness, and connect the remote switching from the head unit,and it should be all good.but sadly it isn't .

I spent a merry hour , checking and identifying all the wires , and was not able to find one that seemed right .
So my question for all the smart people , if you could shine a light on any ideas it would be great , is,does her car have an amplifier ? , and any ideas where it could be hidden ? As I have read about it being behind the glove box,and the rear wheel arch,but hoping someone's could give me a definite ,and any ideas on how to make this all work ? As would really like to get it up and running properly , but have read through all 98 pages of the stereo section and no one at all seems to have raised this question,so again,thankyou for suffering through this ,and hopefully someone can help, many thanks Dennis .

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
My understanding (based on my experience with my RCZ) is if it has the JBL upgrade everything is routed through the amp.

I bought my RCZ with a damaged NG4, I bought a replacement from ebay from a 5008. So I swapped the face place and installed it.
Vin coded it.

No sound.
Arse.

Sat and scratched my head for 20 minutes.

Found out by fiddling I had to activate the amplifier option. Sounds like a mobile disco now :)

Maybe yours could be the same?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply chap, this is what's frying my brain , had a look at the factory loom ,and only see 4 speaker wires ,so am guessing it goes to the amp,which then splits it all up to the various speakers .
After failing with the new head unit,plugged in the original rd4 and everything's working ok , so that's what's stumped me with the amp,surely there must be some way to switch the amp on ,without the factory head unit doing it ? That's where I am stumped , am hoping that if someone doesn't have the answer, and cal tell me here the amp is ,I can access it,and then uses multimeter to find which wire goes to the amp and switches it on when I put the head unit on.
That's my scheme lol, just after some help to figure it out :confused::)

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Jbl sound systems use a low level input from the head unit and as already said the speaker wires go through the amp then back to the speakers the amp is powered when ignition is on you wont be able to do what you want without major rewiring.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers for the reply mate, looking for any good input,what kind of major wiring are we talking ? Have fully wired and installed two amps in my own car and replaced all the speakers,that kind of wiring or are we talking complex ? , cheers , Den.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Cheers for the reply mate, looking for any good input,what kind of major wiring are we talking ? Have fully wired and installed two amps in my own car and replaced all the speakers,that kind of wiring or are we talking complex ? , cheers , Den.
We're talking Peugeot.

For Bluetooth, what about a parrot kit?

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I used to have parrot in my car, was pretty hit and miss for quality,and for when it wanted to work , installed aftermarket head unit with Bluetooth,and was really pleased,that's why I am hoping I can do similar for her car ,cheers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Got the same problem spent over £300 on my other halfs car to now have no sound . have you been able to get any further with sorting problem? I dont really want to take to a audio shop if it is something not to hard to fix

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sadly mate, no joy as of yet , may end up booking it into an audio place, as the wire , or the command to turn the amplifier itself on is very elusive ,cheers,Den.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Have you looked in to how easy fitting a higher spec Peugeot unit would be?
It may just plug straight in.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Really it's knowing 'which' head unit would fit , would be ok with fitting a better standard one if it had USB and Bluetooth , but it's the problem of knowing which one to get,and getting it coded as I understand they have to be coded to the car,cheers .

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Yes, they need VIN coding.
Literally takes seconds so if you do need it doing don't pay main dealer diagnostic charges.

I don't think you'd get an NG4 or faceplate RT6 to fit as they need a pop up screen and so would probably end up being a lot of money to do.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes,trailed through the threads before I posted, and her old 207 had Bluetooth on the standard hu, but having a quick trawl on eBay cannot see any suitable units , as I understand it, need a head unit, the Bluetooth ecu , mic etc, as it stands I have all the connects2 wiring and a Kenwood head unit with Bluetooth ready to go , I just need to find someone who actually knows about how to work it with the factory JBL amp ,cheers for replying ,Den .

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
The bluetooth is NOT anything to do with the head unit ALL later peugeot headunits can work with bluetooth if the bluetooth module is fitted to the car.

As for the kenwood unit if it has line outputs it probably could be used with the amp but i doubt there is an adapter for that you would need to cut wires

·
Registered
6 Posts
The iso only has 4 wires for speakers like you would have if using rca signal so I tired cutting a couple of them and putting to rca out on headunit but still nothing. The standard one must be linked in a way that also makes it show the sound goin up on the centre display. I have found a wire on ebay( Peugeot high to low converter jbl). Phoned them to ask if it would work on mine and they didnt know . i also phoned local car stereo shop which said that i wouldnt be able to use standard amp and it would need bypassing. So still stuck

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cheers reliable406 , I did read about the chap who has done it on another model, and I guess that you would also need to change the steering stalk s o you could actually make and receive calls, but like I say I have a whole lot of wiring and a head unit doing nothing so ideally would lci Ike to use them .
Dennisnova, I am guessing that the amp is the thing causing the issue, I would guess the canbus wiring does the volume increase on display, but am wondering if maybe it's canbus that also handles the amp being on and off , as there is no definite wire doing the job of remote switching .
This is part of why I asked if anyone could check,and tell me definitively where the amp is located ,as don't fancy ripping the car apart to find it, but if I know where it is and can just access it easily , will see I found I can find a wire that switches it on ,cheers,Den ,

·
Registered
6 Posts
i feel as if you are just me when day dreaming lol. I have the same problem i cant find on the net anything about where it is or how to get to it. I am hoping to get a wiring diagram soon off someone to see if that can help me . i also worked out that standard headunit gives no sound if the buttons above with hazard switch are disconnected so must run throw there aswell....

·
Registered
3 Posts
In the same predicament myself, currently modifying a harness to convert the wiring loom that joins the HU to the amp so that one end has RCA connections to plug into my Sony HU.

I'm not sure if you guys came across this, Citroen Part 9475.43 is a wiring loom used to convert a C4 can bus harness (with the JBL amp) to ISO connectors. Has anyone tried this harness? Even better, has anyone tried it and successfully run an aftermarket HU and powered the JBL amp?

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
I am being honest here when i say i HAVE used a JBL amp from a 406 in another car so it can be wired to any head unit but the problem is the way peugeot wired it in you need to understand how all the wiring works if you want to make it work.

Peugeots head units can be set in configuration with amp out or line out down the same wires.

Only issue i can see is the later ones may be networked to the canbus 406 one is not i have never messed with a later one

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Guys,
Is there any progress with the JBL amplifier. I have the same issue as you - the only difference is that i have sound - but only for 2 sec. If i turn down/up the volume a little - the sound is coming again - and in 2 secs - it goes off.

I have all the info and schematics where the amp is - and i can provide them to you all. Also a guide how to get to the amp - what needs to be removed and done.

Any ideas will be welcome.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts