Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently experienced the infuriating 'Risk of particulate filter blocking' warning on my trusty 307 SW estate (2008 155k miles), and sure enough the DPF fluid pouch was well and truly empty; I've replaced it today no problems. I'm reasonably sure the DPF is still in good order as the fuel consumption is completely unaffected, turbo is good and all systems seem to be normal. I'm completely comfortable with cleaning out the DPF when the time comes though. ;) The only remaining unknown is whether the DPF fluid dosing pump is still serviceable.

So my question simply is: is there anyone in the Stroud, Glos area with the right gadget that could reset the warning and the DPF fluid counter, and maybe tell the system that the DPF has been changed while we're at it. I'm happy to make a suitable contribution, I just don't want to give my local Peugeot garage more money for a code read/fault reset than the car is worth...

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, and Happy New Year!

·
Registered
Peugeot 308SW 1.6HDI Sport - with Diagbox availability
11 Posts
Hi Banjineer, I had the same message "Risk of particulate filter blocking" pop up on my 308 1.6 HDI (2010) just after I filled up at the fuel station yesterday.
I went on a 300 mile journey and the car was fine, averaging 60mpg, so I guess I need to top up my DPF fluid as well.

Did you have any other messages to say level was low or empty?

Mines done 112,000 miles. I've had a look through some of the history I had with the car but can't see anything in there regarding previous fluid top-up etc.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@ Leepez78 - The message on my 307 sw came up at exactly the same time, specifically just after a fill up, a few seconds after starting. This seems to be a common theme. Also I couldn't find any fluid top up info on the service history.

I'm no expert, but this is my view:

I had no other messages at all, but I know there is a 'Low DFP fluid' warning that others have had; which I assume is calculated on the number of shots the dosing pump has done, as there's no sensor in the DPF pouch. So I'm a bit suspicious that the error you and I have had is a generic warning which could indicate that the pump is US, amongst other things... This kind of makes sense as I imagine that the dosing pump is only activated at the end of all the other boot ups & checks that the engine management system has to do each start - the system detects open circuit at the pump and throws a fault. I find it unlikely that this exact fault is generated by a differential pressure issue across the DPF as this could occur at any time, and probably wouldn't be worded: 'Risk of...'

Also like you my car is still driving normally and returning good MPG, which should be a good indicator of actual DPF trouble.

So for now I'm carrying on, and monitoring MPG & temps closely. However - I'm slightly concerned that the 'Risk of particulate filter blocking' condition may also cause the system to not attempt DPF regeneration - which would be really annoying. If I'm right, the condition should be cleared by:

1. Telling the system that the fluid has been replaced
2. Telling the system that the DPF has been replaced
3. Replacing the dosing pump if it's open circuit.

These are just my views, and are just as likely wrong as right!

I'm also looking into getting Lexia 3 for laptop as suggested by RedSector as I'd quite like to drill into this and try to find out what's really happening.

As an aside: I've just got a 5 year old VW polo tsi for my wife and within days it threw loads of errors all related to turbo issues. Garage wanted just shy of £3k for replacement turbo, So I bought a cheapo ebd2 code reader and tracked it down to the exhaust gate sticking in the turbo. I exercised it with graphite powder applied to the bearing and it goes like a good 'un now - no faults since. Just shows that garages / stealerships don't always know what they're doing...

·
Registered
11 Posts
@Banjineer - thanks for the info, my thought process is the same as yours. I've ordered some PAT fluid online so I'll refill mine on the weekend. I'm trying to find someone local who could then remove the warning code and say the fluid is now full. Failing that I'll look to invest in the diagbox equipment myself. At the moment, it's bit of a mine field as there is so much out there at a wide price range, plus my laptop is 64bit.
There is a good video on Youtube of a DPF removal and clean. Wynns DPF cleaner 5L (£30) was recommended and you only have to remove the bottom section of the DPF and soak it in the cleaner for 8hrs. Rinse it out with clean water and assemble back onto the car. I'll probably do that as well just for peace of mind.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you, I've just purchase the full chip diagbox so I'll try this out on my machine this week.
Sounds interesting - let me know how you get along.

I've also seen the DPF cleaning video and when the weather's a bit warmer, I'll probably have a go at it (unless I'm forced into it...). Car's running just fine for now, but I would like to get that pesky warning triangle turned off though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sounds interesting - let me know how you get along.

I've also seen the DPF cleaning video and when the weather's a bit warmer, I'll probably have a go at it (unless I'm forced into it...). Car's running just fine for now, but I would like to get that pesky warning triangle turned off though.
Everything turned up in the post today and so I managed to install the software onto my laptop this evening. Thankfully this was pretty straight forward. My old Acer 64bit laptop with a CD drive was running virtually as default.

At the moment Diagbox 7.02 is installed with numerous options to update to the latest version.
Not sure what version I need for my 2010 308SW 1.6HDI 110bhp though?

Anyway, a quick test and my car connected easy enough to the laptop, options there for the diesel additive fluid but nothing as I could see to say the the bag is now full. Only option was asking for service intervals etc.

Time to do a bit more research and hopefully I'll get to the bottom of it soon

·
9,199 Posts
Go into the repair option then replacement parts there should be option there for dpf replacement and fluid refill

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Leepez78

·
Registered
11 Posts
Go into the repair option then replacement parts there should be option there for dpf replacement and fluid refill

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Thanks, I've got to that part and it said only 0.848 (tank) left and so I topped it back up to 1.6 (1.6 is level from new).
Unfortunately the warning light is coming back on?
Looking at the report which was generated (I've not got time to play around with it again tonight) there are 3 fields:

Current quantity of additive contained in the reservoir - 0%
Amount of additive in the tank - 1.6
Volume of additive when new - 1.60

Any ideas? I guess its the reservoir that I need to top up to 100% and not the tank?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks, I've got to that part and it said only 0.848L (tank) left and so I topped it back up to 1.6L (1.6L is level from new).
Unfortunately the warning light is coming back on?
Looking at the report which was generated (I've not got time to play around with it again tonight) there are 3 fields:

Current quantity of additive contained in the reservoir - 0%
Amount of additive in the tank - 1.6
Volume of additive when new - 1.60

Any ideas? I guess its the reservoir that I need to top up to 100% and not the tank?
Curiosity got the better of me :)
I found the replacement parts setting, updated that, so the bag is now being reported as full.

Current quantity of additive contained in the reservoir - Soft bag full
Amount of additive in the tank - 1.6 ml
Volume of additive when new - 1.60 litres

Still the warning triangle is showing?
No faults being reported anywhere?

Perhaps when I take the car for a drive tomorrow is might clear then, fingers crossed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Fixed 😀
I updated to version v07.57 and there were extra options which were easily visible. No ⚠ light anymore.
Thanks for your help everyone 👍

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Glad you got some resolution to the problem - me too.

I was at an industrial estate doing some non-car related stuff and I asked if there was anyone on the estate that could read/reset Peugeot fault codes - long story short - a guy came out with his device, reset the DPF fluid counter to full, reset the DPF to 'replaced', checked a few other things and hey presto, the triangle has gone. I'll monitor the MPG and give the DPF a physical wash-out as soon as. He did spot that one or more glow plugs have failed and warned me that regeneration probably won't occur. Best bit was, he didn't want anything for it! So I gave him £20 anyway.

Guess what my next job is....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts