Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm attempting to change the drive belt on my 307 sw 2.0hdi 90. I've locked the tensioner using a 4mm allen key but am unable to get the new belt on, its way too tight. The old belt is a Dayco 6pk1156 and goes back on easily. the new belt is a FAI 6pk1155. Is there anyway of stretching the belt, or perhaps should I go for a slightly longer belt perhaps about 15mm longer? Any ideas would be appreciated
thanks in advance

·
Registered
9,733 Posts
If you hang on someone will get to you but as far as i know you need a special tool for Peugeot timing belts if thats what you`re talking about a allen key is no good , someone else should be able to say what.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've locked the tensioner using a 4mm allen key
This confuses me on timing belts I have changed I have locked the camshaft and crankshaft but never the tensioner In fact I usually have to take it off to fit the belt then refit it

never changed a timing belt on a peugeot

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi there,
I've just completed the same job on my wife's 407 1.8 petrol. While i'm no expert on the subject, I'd recommend you proceed with caution. Stretching the belt would be a complete NO NO as you may overload the belt even if you get it on and end up with a 'Snap' soon after fitting. I'd suggest rechecking the slacking of the tensioner to ensure you have completely released all the tension. If still no luck, check that you are fitting the belt in the proper sequence for example... crank pully first, intermidiate pulley, cam('s) water pump, and lastly tensioner pulley. Make sure you apply the belt taught by hand around each pulley so the max slack is at the tensioner. If your still in the same situation i'd suggest you check if its the correct belt for your model. I did notice the old belt I removed was slightly longer than the new one due,i'd imagine to constant use. To sum up, Don't try to stretch the belt, (It may be the wrong one) Re-check the tensioner is fully slackened, ensure you fit in correct sequence around the pulleys. And finally, proceed with caution. The price of a new belt by far outweighs the price of a new engine if you get 'Snap'. :nono:
Hope this might help.:)
Best of luck with it.
Herro24

·
Registered
10 Posts
Oh, one more thing. There are special tools required for Peugeots as Betty said. In your case I'd guess you don't have the tensioner tool. This tool holds the tensioner in an over-slackened state in order to fit the belt. Once the belt is on the over tensioning tool is removed. Then you can go through the tensioning proceedure. As I've said, I'm no expert but the special tools are a must for the 407.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I'm attempting to change the drive belt
Nowhere does he mention timing belt, so i assume he is talking about what he is writing, drive belt, there were two lenghts to my 2.0 petrol, perhaps it's the same on the HDI. The belt on mine slided right in from underneath the car, i held the tensioner with a tent peg :lol:

Holt

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the replies but i'm talking about the alternator belt not the timing belt. I suspect its the wrong size eventhough its stamped on the belt itself.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Did you route it the right way? or get a belt for a non aircon? look at the illustrations, there isn't much difference.

Holt

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for the info, yes i did route the belt correctly, i've put the old belt back on for now. I'm certain the belt is a faulty size will take it back to supplier on Monday and ask them to compare with another off the shelf.
thanks again

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
i have just changed my cam belt and aux belt

the old one was a dayco 1156. the new one is a 1153. i have a/c and it fitted fine

if you go onto euro car parts it shows the 1153 as the right one for my car. i was a little worried but fitted it anyway.

the car factors i went to checked with my reg number too.

what make is the new belt. mine is a gates one

have you taken the old and new and put them together . i used a vice handle to pull them both taught to see there was a slight difference but not much

you need to adjust the tensioner. you can do this with a spanner to twist it to allow you to slip the belt off

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
took the belt back to the supplier today and compared with another off the shelf, like I thought the belt was wrong size eventhough coding stamped on belt was identical. Replacement belt is slightly longer and ribs are thinner.
thanks all for your replies

1 - 15 of 15 Posts