Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I hope someone can help.

I have managed to get the old broken coil spring off my 307 but am struggling with how to get the new one on again.

Could anyone give me some direction please? (I'm a girl and quite new to fixing my own car, so preferably easy ones please :) )

Thank you :)

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Hi, I hope someone can help.

I have managed to get the old broken coil spring off my 307 but am struggling with how to get the new one on again.

Could anyone give me some direction please? (I'm a girl and quite new to fixing my own car, so preferably easy ones please :) )

Thank you :)
you jack the whole back of the car up put it on axle stands under the sills and remove both back wheels then remove one bolt from each shocker at the back and the whole back arm should drop you may need to get someone to stand on the rear hub while some one puts the spring in, you should be changing both the back springs not just one

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, I'll go and get another spring before I go any further.

Didn't realise I had to take both wheels off, thanks again :D

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Thanks for the reply, I'll go and get another spring before I go any further.

Didn't realise I had to take both wheels off, thanks again :D
the reason for doing both is because of stability, different makes of spring have different tensions and also old springs have bedded in a bit

·
Registered
34 Posts
You might also need two coil spring compresseors like these to compress the springs before fitting.. Remember to use both compressors on one coil spring :)

·
Registered
402 Posts
there are no need to remove the wheels, jack the car up as described, put the jack under one swing arm, remove bolt from bottom of shock absorber, lower the arm and do the same thing at the other side, you have to remove both bolts before you can lower the arms enough to mount springs again. do yourself a favour and mount harder springs while you are at it, I use MAD springs, my 2002 hatchback use MAD HV-133188
A little photo session, height at the rear fender before and after with me standing on the tow bar.

I even think they are cheaper than the original.
The whole thing took under an hour with ordinary tools, the most sophisticated was a floor jack

Holt

·
Registered
276 Posts
I can also confirm that you DO NOT need spring compressors as I changed both of mine without them. You do need them for the fronts though.

Maybe I was unlucky but 6 months after I changed the back springs one of the fronts snapped too and made a nice big slash in the tyre.

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
you must have been doing something wrong then, you need to unbolt both shockers and jack it up enough at both sides
I can assure you I know how to replace a couple of rear springs.

Both Shocks taken off completely as I had to replace the top mounts and the axle was hanging without support and no way would the springs go in without being slightly compressed Even trying to force the axle down wouldn't help. Had to compress the old springs a little to get them out.

The car was jacked up high enough as there was plenty of space between the free end of the axle and the road.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts