Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am unfortunate enough to own a 2002 307 1.4 , recently when i start the car the engine revs erraticly on idle between 1500 and 2000rpm, its just like stabbing the throttle constantly, the rev counter shoots up and down between this range every second, this continues when i am driving and to get an almost correct idle when stopped at lights / junction etc i have to keep the car in gear and get clutch to biting point and with brake pedal pressed, in effect i have to basically try to deliberately stall the car to bring the revs down, the first time this happened, i sprayed inside the throttle housing with carb cleaner and wiped inside as far as i could get with a cloth and it done the trick for a few months, however this time round it didnt work, so i changed the sparkplugs today (what a nightmare of a job)!! This didnt resolve the issue, so im thinking maybe coilpack???
Since changing the sparkplugs this afternoon i still have to dip basically attempt to stall the car to get the revs down, this works when waiting at lights and junctions but the tickover has gone higher at 1200rpm!!
The car also sounds as if its misfiring a little and judders on tickover but it was like this before the plug change and its shaking the car and passengers to bits!!
Im no mechanic and not really sure if its electrical or fuel issue, but if anyone can shed some light i would be very grateful as it would stop me from setting fire to this French hunk of junk!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mileage?

Have the idle stepper motor and throttle ever been cleaned properly? Your symptoms are typical of a dirty/borked idle stepper motor.
Hi, i had thought about the idle control valve and read somewhere that they get dirty and sometimes need removing and cleaning out with wd/carbcleaner, i dont actually know where the valve is, can you explain how to get to it please? thanks :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tou need to make sure there are no air leaks in the system first..
Its funny that you should say that because after spending ages changing the plugs and cleaning out the throttle body, i fired the car up and it was still the same, i had a can of wd40 handy and decided to spray some around the throttle area to lubricate the throttle cable, as soon as i squirted the wd around that area, the revs seemed to drop considerably for a second or two but then went back to the normal 2-3000rpm, mmmm.... im wondering whether there is some sort of leak around that area?? i will have a good luck but is there any specific way of looking for air leaks??? i could do this and also clean out the icv if i knew where it is and how to get to it!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts