Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering buying a peugeot 107.
It has a 1.0 engine, is 3 years old and has done 54,000 miles.
I was wondering how many more miles the engine will do and how long the engine will last?
thank you
:)

G

·
It's actually manufactured in Poland, before being shipped over to Chechozlastan to be fitted to the cars, although it is indeed Japanese in origin which makes it well designed, pith easy to service, and (so far) very durable.

Engine themselves suffer little. However, early cars up to 57 can suffer clutch problems - the case hardening on the release bearing was poor and overnight condensation would promote rust and the bearing would break up. Unless the car is a very low miler from that era, it would probably have been fixed under warranty by now.

The other main mechanical problem is also clutch related - because it's such a revvy little unit folk tend to slip too much clutch and many cars are having clutches fail prematurely, typically around thge 20k mark. This is entirely down to the style of driving, but the nature of the engine tends to promote that style in many people. Some people fit a clutch from a Yaris with the same engine which uses a heavier cover plate, but this makes no difference if you're still kack-footed with the pedals.

A few other minor issues (rattly rear tailgates, soft interior plastics that mark easily, but nothing really serious or recurrant) aside it's proven to be a majorly tough little car.

At the moment the 107 is holding it's value better than any other car, so if you want used then a C1 or a Gaygo might be cheaper. It is even possible to buy one new for less than used if you hold out for a good dealer discount.

G

·
Yes, water pumps on some older cars, though it's supposed to be modified now. I've been browsing a certain 107 owners site and rotting back boxes seem also to be common as the cars age.

G

·
Aye, generally though, compared to the litany of grief some models have (207...) it's a pretty sturdy wee machine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.