Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi could you please advise me on what is involved in changing the oil sump on my 406 1999 1.9 dt i have no experience and all tips and advice will be greatly appreciated, it is an aluminum sump. thanks in advance for any replies:confused: :eek:

·
Super Moderator
1,807 Posts
If it's an aluminium sump then I assume your car will have a/c so you will have to remove the a/c pump.
Make sure you have a new gasket before you start.

1.Remove sump plug and drain oil
2.Loosen tensioner of belt that drives the pulley on a/c pump.
3.Use a bungee or similar to support a/c pump.
4.Slide off belt and remove bolts from a/c pump.
5.Remove bolts from sump and remove sump.
6.Make sure surfaces between engine and new sump are clean
7.Put some new oil round both sides of gasket.
8.Offer new sump to car with gasket fitted and replace bolts finger tight.
9.Tighten bolts opposite from each other e.g. back left then front right.
10.Replace a/c pump and refit the belt.
11.Tighten up belt with tensioner.
12.Refill oil to correct level with new oil.
13.Run the engine for a short while.
14.Check oil level and check for leaks.
Done!

Ensure new sump has sump plug fitted and tightened!

GET YOURSELF A GOOD SET OF RAMPS OR AXLES STANDS!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
just an after thought, when i look at the new part its only the tray or bottom half of the sump i'm replacing, i cant see any where the pump goes into it is that more straight forward to do.

·
Super Moderator
1,807 Posts
Not sure. I did it when I had my 306 with the same engine and there were 3 bolts which went directly into mouldings on the sump. If not it should be just a matter of removing the old part and replacing it without the bother of worring about belts and stuff. My advice would be get in below her and compare the 2 parts.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
thanks for all the advise, just to update you Ive taken the plunge today, I'm only half way through the ordeal.
its been a nightmare its taken me all day to loosen belt disconnect a/c pump and remove six bolts in total. had to give up for today as the remaining bolts are really awkward to get at, and some of them are sealed in and I'm scared of searing the bolts. thanks again :thumb: :confused:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts