Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

I'm in desperate need of a bit of advice! Failed my MOT due to binding brakes on the back. The pads had just been changed when I bought it a year and a half ago but after having a look I see the disks are in a very very sorry state...

I took off the back pads and gave everything a bit of a clean and put new copper paste on the backs of the pads. While putting the pads back on I did notice it was REALLY hard to get the pads in again... (wrong pads maybe?)

I'm thinking new disks and pads might be in order but wanted to check if anyone has had similar problems and possible causes/fixes

Its not the handbrake cable as its the same when I release the cable!

Lucas/TRW brakes on the back of my car (2004 XSi 2.0 petrol estate)

Any help would be wonderfull as I have to have it fixed by wednesday next week! :nono:

·
Registered
59 Posts
If you replace pads or discs you have to wind the pistions back. The pistons move further and further out as pads and discs wear so need to be wound back to allow new chunky discs and pads room to fit.
If you have operated the brakes / handbrake with the pads out they will certainly need winding back as there will be nothing to prevent the pistons protruding way beyond their normal range of travel. Not a biggie and the piston tools are cheap on ebay etc :thumb:
If you are local to shropshire you can gladly borrow mine

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well mate! Thanks for the kind offer but i'm living in Stockholm, Sweden so a tad far for me to travel :) On the bright side I do have a wind back tool!

I havent pushed the brakes while the pads have been out but i'll wind them back a bit and see if it makes a difference before I buy the new disks and pads, I was just hoping to get it through the MOT on Wednesday!

Cheers

·
Registered
59 Posts
That is a bit far. Be sure to remove the brake fluid cylinder top and put some cloth around the filler as you may well displace fluid when you push back the pistons :thumb:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Righty! New disks and pads ordered for the back, hopefully swapping them out helps my problem... Needed doing anyway. I just hope its not the wheel bearing (just thought of this :eek: )

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update!

New disks arrived today so I went straight out and got to work!

I found my problem... both back disks are warped pretty badly so rubbing on the pads. So caliper off, old pads out, and then... I'd missed that I need to loosen the caliper bracket :mad: and I dont have the required torx to get them off...

Would anyone happen to know the right size torx I will need for the caliper bracket? I've done a bit of googling and seems to be T50 or T55? I have the lucas/TRW on the back of mine. Be great if anyone could let me know so I can nip out and get one tomorrow :)

Cheers!

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
make you soak the bolts in wd40

i have heavy duty torx on ratchets. i snapped 3 trying to get mine off.

this has never happened before. you can get full sets that use a ratchet for a little over a tenner

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hello all!

Thought i'd post a final update! had a bit of trouble finding a T50 but in the end got hold of a torx key set with a T50. To my surprise I got the caliper brackets loose without too much trouble at all so new disks and pads on and my binding brake problem solved!

Thanks for the help all and thanks to my car for playing nice for the first time ever!

Cheers
Eddie

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello all!

Thought i'd post a final update! had a bit of trouble finding a T50 but in the end got hold of a torx key set with a T50. To my surprise I got the caliper brackets loose without too much trouble at all so new disks and pads on and my binding brake problem solved!

Thanks for the help all and thanks to my car for playing nice for the first time ever!

Cheers
Eddie
make sure you wire brush there the disk sits other wise you will more than likely warp the new disks again and feel vibrating in the peddal when breaking and when pusing the piston back make sure the rubber around the piston is in tackt and sits properly with out ant twists init as that rubber acts like a spring and keeps dust and debry out, also make sure the pads just slide in if they are very tight file rust and dirt off the carryer the the pads sit :lol:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts