Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm looking to replace my 2007 BMW 3 series estate which has clocked up 125k miles with a newer used car with low mileage. The wife will take the estate (which will suit the kids) and so i'm looking at available options. It seems crazy to buy another estate when it's mostly me in the car every day and I like the idea of the 308 with a big boot at the sacrifice of room in the back because it's rare i'd have company and we'd take the estate on longer journeys with all of us.

Autotrader suggests a 2014-2015 model with Active or even Allure trim and around 25k miles would be achievable.

I do 1,600 miles per month just commuting - a mix of motorway cruising and forest A roads. My budget is £9.5k and I'm looking for advice on which would be better, the 1.6 (120 bhp) or 2 litre.

I haven't yet test driven the 308, but it would be good to get thoughts from those that have tried both.

Thanks in advance!

· Registered
613 Posts
I like my 308.
Things I do not like is lack of CD player and having to put my CD on to a USB stick.
Love the DAB radio and its choices so not missing CDs that much.

Do not like the lack of handbrake and it having the electric one took me a long time to get used to it, might be me though as friends find theirs ok.

Sales on test drive did not warn me on test drive about the ECO which turns engine off so I thought car was faulty :)

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I like my 308.
Things I do not like is lack of CD player and having to put my CD on to a USB stick.
Love the DAB radio and its choices so not missing CDs that much.
Because I drive an hour each way every weekday I need USB - otherwise i'd need a huge CD holder!

Do not like the lack of handbrake and it having the electric one took me a long time to get used to it, might be me though as friends find theirs ok.
I've heard a few people complain about this - not just on the Peugeot. At least it frees a little space in the centre console (despite onlly one cup holder!)

Sales on test drive did not warn me on test drive about the ECO which turns engine off so I thought car was faulty :)
ha!

· Registered
542 Posts
Go for a 2.0 GT if you can find one.

You have a better chance of striking a deal on that I think as not many seem to be privately owned. They all seem to be dealer demo cars

· Registered
89 Posts
I got my 1.6 Allure Bluehdi 1.6 about a month ago, and its great.
Same colour.
Do you find the gear changing very clunky??

Apart from that and a faulty bonnet alarm switch which I am replacing next weekend, the car is fab.
Came from a 2lt 3008 auto.

Went for the 1.6. Collected it yesterday. Didn't test drive the 2 in the end but love this one and it seems nippy enough. Love it!

· Registered
613 Posts
Same colour.

Apart from that and a faulty bonnet alarm switch which I am replacing next weekend, the car is fab.
No problems for me, but it is different to my previous 308SW 1.6.
Found first gear further over to left on this one and I tended to be going for 3 rd. at very first.
Gear ratios must be different as it doesn't like 4 th in low 30's mph I have to get up to very near 40 mph before I go into 4 th. So in 30 mph limits I'm riding around in third.

Actual changing is smooth so maybe yours needs a dealer to have a look.

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Same colour.

Do you mean brand new? If so, might need bedding in?

No - mine seems smooth. In fact the whole car feels really nice and refined - especially when I switch on the engine. My 10 year old BMW feels so old in comparison!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.