Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! Complete newbie here, so many thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.
I have a 207 GT CC, 1598 cylinder capacity, from 2007.
Bought for my wife, and she LOVES it, because a local artist covered it in unicorns!
I took it in because the clutch was slipping, only to find I need a new gearbox (apparently the box is leaking oil, which is coating the clutch, causing the slipping).
I have a local mechanic who says he can do the gearbox change, only we can't find a matching gearbox ANYWHERE!
The code on the existing box is: 20CQ48.
This code barely gets a hit on Google, let alone eBay.
I also can't find it listed on Partsfinder in the list of gearboxes for this model of car.
However, there seem to be dozens of similar-coded boxes floating around. My question is, does this code have to match EXACTLY? Or can I use, for example, a 20CQ46 gearbox? Or a 20CQ88, which seem to be everywhere?!
My mechanic is concerned that the box code must match exactly, but I'm finding mixed opinions online. HELP!!!
Thank-you so much, people!
Best wishes,
Tony

·
Registered
14,277 Posts
The numbers vary over the years and if the box is from the same car with the same engine it fits regardless of code i have 1 here but im not ready to strip it just yet

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys!

Xlineiain, I'm a complete non-technical dude, so a local mechanic is handling it. He seems to think the box is knackered, so looks like I'll have to replace the whole thing :(

Reliable, good to know, mate, thanks! Is there a way I can tell a gearbox will fit, like matching the model number and CC etc?
I noticed on a reply to someone in a similar situation a while back you noticed they had a 'Prince' engine, and so were stuck with the one box code. Is this the case for my car? I know I shouldn't, but I'm doing amateur Google-sleuthing, and probably just scaring myself ;)

·
Registered
14,277 Posts
Yes it is the prince engine so the box needs to be from a prince engine the 20CQ is the gearbox type the last 2 digits tell you the variant the 88 number is from a 1.4 but i have both a 1.4 and 1.6 here and they do look the same externally the ratios may well differ but as i say i dont have the 1.6 box out the car yet i will however check the code on it tomorrow i know its a good box and low miles but i dont know the code have not looked yet

·
5,662 Posts
As above is the seal just leaking because input shaft bearing has failed (common failure) its not to bad a job (gearbox strip) to change bearing and seal and a lot cheaper than a new box

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Windy! I'm just going on what my mechanic has told me, his was already the second opinion that the gearbox needed replacing - I believe there were metal filings in the leaking oil. I had a quote for reconditioning the gearbox which came in at £500, more than I need to spend really. Thanks though ;)

·
Registered
14,277 Posts
If there are metal filings coming out WITH the leaking oil then the casing is damaged so wont be reconditionable anyway

I did not get a chance to get under mine today but i did check the code on the 1.4 and it is 20CQ74

Are you SURE your code is 48 it may be 46 post up last 8 digits of your vin and someone can check your options on servicebox

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Reliable!

My VIN number is: VF3WB5FWC33761972
It's a 1.6 as far as I know.

If it turns out that the box from your 1.6 is compatible, would you be willing to sell it?

Many thanks, mate!

Tony

·
Registered
14,277 Posts
Yes it will be a 1.6 its the gearbox code i was questioning and according to service box it is a 20CQ46 fitted originally so the 6 is looking like an 8 :)

20 CQ 74 has a different diff ratio but otherwise the same box

Yes i can sell my 1.6 box but im not planning on removing it till middle of next week

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the help and advice, mate!
One more question, if you don't mind: Is there a definitive way I can tell a certain box will fit, or will ALL 20CQ46 boxes fit? With mine being the Prince engine and all that?
I ask because I've found a box from the same car on eBay, here:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PEUGEOT-207-CC-5-SPEED-MANUAL-GEARBOX-1-6-PETROL-5FW-5FS-20CQ46-FREE-POST/272972977437

In the auction, the buyer states it will "fit 5FW and 5FS engines". My engine number on my registration docket is: FHAK0025336. As this doesn't contain 5FW or 5FS in the code, does that mean the box is incompatible? Or am I comparing the wrong number? Sorry for being so clueless, I'm just trying to get a handle on this before I buy a box that doesn't fit!!
Many thanks,
Tony

·
Registered
14,277 Posts
Engine CODE and engine number are 2 different things the 3 digit engine code is found in the chassis number the engine number is just the serial number for that particular engine and is of little use.

All prince engines use the same basic box the different versions have different rations thats about it

5FW is early engine
5FS is later engine but they are both very similar and to all intents use the same box

Turbo versions of the prince engine use a stronger box of a different design entirely

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Reliable, thank-you SO MUCH, mate! You've really saved my bacon here!
I've bought the box I linked to above, and it'll be sent out to the mechanics tomorrow. FANTASTIC! My wife was so upset, and now her Unicornmobile will fly again ;)
Oh, here's a pic of it, just for interest's sake. It's pretty unusual...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey everyone (if anyone's still watching this).. how did this turn out?

Was the 20CQ87 different ratios to the 20CQ46 - did it fit, did it work? Was there any noticeable difference?

I ask because i am in the same boat looking for a 20CQ46... can only find a few and they are £££ or 200 miles away :(

Found plenty of other 20CQ boxes about (for 1.4L's) ... but none that match my code exactly...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi Gr1msheeper!

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, I've been re-emigrating to Australia!

So, it DID work out - the box I bought for the Peugeot 207cc was a:

'5 SPEED MANUAL GEARBOX 1.6 PETROL 5FW 5FS 20CQ46'

and it worked fine! According to all the advice I received on here, the last 2 digits indicate differing models, which potentially have different gearing ratios, but that doesn't stop the box being compatible.

My situation worked out fine, which was great as the 20CQ48 looked impossible to get hold of. So glad I cam on here and asked lots of questions!

One caveat though - I am COMPLETELY non-technical, so please don't order expensive car parts based on my advice! I literally got these few scraps of knowledge from the above thread ;)

Best wishes,

Tony

·
Registered
11 Posts
The one you bought was exactly the same as the one you had though, so that doesnt answer my question! :p

If service box says you had a 20CQ46 - then that's what it was. The 8 was probably a 6. I know my one was nearly impossible to read the last digit. Thanks for the reply though.... in the end i bought another 207 CC with the same gearbox and we are doing a swap!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts