Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

307 1.4 HDI

Always at roughly this time of year i experience the same issue. On morning startup i cannot engage gear. After applying abit of force i managed to get it into 1st gear. It had that grinding feel. Then tried to select 2nd gear, same problem had to use force and got it into gear, grinding feel again.

Once the car warms up and you've taken it for a drive for 15/20 mins gear changing start to operate correctly, nice and smooth feel with no stiffness or grinding.

This issue only occurs in cold morning startup

Adam :confused:

·
5,631 Posts
As above change gearbox oil only use 75/80 BV oil. Lots of websites say you can use normal GL4 or 5 but stiff changes when cold often happen using BV oil no issues (you can find it quite cheap on ebay)

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you guys for your replies, much appreciated.

I had the gearbox fluid replaced just under 2 years ago because of the issue i was having (stiff gear change when cold). Bought 2 litres of the fluid from Peugeot. After the fluid change i experienced the same problem.

Also in the summer i had experienced a vibration coming from the clutch pedal when driving off. Garage diagnosed it as being the clutch pressure plate. So had the clutch kit replaced in summer.

Confused, you would think that its gearbox fluid related but when it was changed under 2 years ago it made no difference at all :confused:

Any suggestions guys, would massively appreciate it

Adam :confused:

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if you had the clutch changed inbetween they may have filled with the wrong oil
Many Thanks for your reply

Have been on the phone to the garage & asked if they had changed the gearbox oil when they replaced the clutch. The garage had said we dont change the gearbox oil unless the customer asks us.

Judging by what they said it appears that they have not changed the gearbox fluid. Before i had the clutch replaced i still had the same issues getting the car in gear in the winter and after the fluid change it still did not make any difference.

could it be any thing else?

Your input would be highly appreciated :)

Adam :thumb:

·
Registered
253 Posts
Try putting some Slick 50 gearbox treatment in and see if this aids gear selection.

When the vehicle is cold the oil sits on a lower level so no oil is covering the synchro hubs and selector forks.

This colder weather we are having makes this worse as the oil is thick. When the vehicle is driven around for a certain time this in turn warms the oil to a thinner state and gets splashed or thrown onto the top half of the transmission thus that's why the gear selection seems smoother.

Oil manufactures like Castrol designed an engine oil like Magnatec to stick to all friction parts of the engine so i'am not sure why they have not designed one for transmissions.

You could also make sure the gear selector rods are adjusted correctly and all links are lubed as these may be dry causing difficult changes.

Also is the clutch hydraulic or cable operated again make sure these are at the correct adjustment as this is key to good disengagement to allow for smooth selection.

Hope this helps you. Kind regards Adam. :thumb:

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Adam

Many Thanks for you reply

After strong recommendation to replace the gearbox fluid i'm going to replace the fluid again. Fingers crossed :p

Visited the parts dept at peugeot and bought some antifreeze and gearbox fluid. This time the gearbox fluid came in total packaging. they probably have supplied the right part but would like confirmation is 75/80 BV right spec oil for the 1.4 Hdi & 1.6Hdi?

Also i had a chat with the tech guys about stiff gear change on my 1.4 hdi & they've said the same thing, that its something to do with the gear linkage as they have a tendency to stiffen due to cold weather and you should squirt some silicone grease on it to prevent it from frosting up.

Does anyone know where the linkage are and how easy it is to apply grease or some sort to stop it from temporary seizing on cold startups. A step by step guide would be nice :D

Would appreciate any help/advise given :)

Adam :)

·
11,711 Posts
Try putting some Slick 50 gearbox treatment in and see if this aids gear selection.
This is on offer at Halfords at the minute. £15.99.

My 306 had stiff gearchange problems. I greased the links where they come out behind the gearbox (although I'm not happy with grease as it can attract grit), and lifted the gearstick gaiter and found the grease in there had dried out. I'm sure Toolstation has something suitable in their lubricants section, maybe PTFE spray or white grease, or maybe even this chain spray as it "Provides long-term internal and external lubrication of chains, bearings gear mechanisms, O ring seals and all types of mechanical joints."

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Automotive/d60/Lubricants+Sprays/sd2795

·
Registered
14,265 Posts
If you have a cable type gear system then your problem is probably the cables the liners inside dry up and make changes stiff then once the engine heat works on them they move freely

You can run some oil through them to free them off but its not easy

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you for your replies, Guys. Much appreciated.

I'm baffled. I really do not know where the linkage or the culprit part is that needs lubricating :D

Does anyone have any pictures or a guide that they can kindly share.

As Gibbo has mentioned that some sprays attracts grit/dirt. So does anyone have a type of spray in mind that would be suitable for this job

Any help would be highly appreciated

Thanks

·
Registered
369 Posts
Many Thanks for your reply

Have been on the phone to the garage & asked if they had changed the gearbox oil when they replaced the clutch. The garage had said we dont change the gearbox oil unless the customer asks us.

Adam :thumb:
Love to know how they did the clutch without taking the gearbox oil out :confused:
Unless they put the old oil back in :rolleyes:

·
Registered
687 Posts
Thank you for your replies, Guys. Much appreciated.

I'm baffled. I really do not know where the linkage or the culprit part is that needs lubricating :D

Does anyone have any pictures or a guide that they can kindly share.

As Gibbo has mentioned that some sprays attracts grit/dirt. So does anyone have a type of spray in mind that would be suitable for this job

Any help would be highly appreciated

Thanks

you could try a dry teflon lube like they use on bike chains in dry conditions, it doesn't attract dust too much but isn't good when wet

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Love to know how they did the clutch without taking the gearbox oil out :confused:
Unless they put the old oil back in :rolleyes:
It really depends which garage you take it to. Some drain the fluid out when taking box out others just take box out and not bother draining the old fluid.

Adam

·
Registered
369 Posts
It really depends which garage you take it to. Some drain the fluid out when taking box out others just take box out and not bother draining the old fluid.

Adam
Nothing to do with the garage you cant take the drive shafts and gearbox out of the car with the oil in, it will come out :lol:

·
Registered
1 Posts
same problem

Hey. adam.007

i know this a few years old but i'm having the same problem with mine and wondered how did you fair out with your fix? and how you did it.

·
Registered
283 Posts
My 2004 1.4HDI suffered this get into gear / porridge stirring in the cold
till it warmed up 1st / 2nd
I was thinking about cable adjustment but only did it a few times

I was just wondering if when your clutch was replaced ? did they replace the nose cone on the gearbox where the release bearing slides on ?
My was worn/ had a step on so I replaced it ... extra 14 quid well spent
I also replaced the slave cylinder too ... maybe sticking ?

Just noticed you responding to an old topic, and adam007 is an inactive user ...

So you maybe due a clutch replacement ?
[email protected] welcome to the forum , maybe you should have started a new fresh topic ?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts