Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hiya all am new to this site and could really do with some help will explain whats happened from the start and see if anyone can help.
I have a 206cc 2001 1.6, the car over heated on me not last weekend but the one before so to it to a garage I was told the switch for the fan needed replacing so it was booked in for the following morning. I then get a phone call from the garage to tell me that the wiring that runs to my fan is corroded so the garage replace the wiring and then the fun begins. When the engine is turned on after a few seconds you hear the fan come on then the temp gauge flys into the red and the STOP starts flashing this does not stop at all then when I turn the engine off it takes about 5-10 mins for the fan to go off. Please remember that when I sent my car to the garage the temp gauge was working it didnt have the STOP warning on but the fan wasnt coming on when it should have.:mad: The garage then called an auto elec to it that said to replace the sensor .I have now had the sensor in the thermostat replaced which changed nothing, the garage call elec back out who says to replace the sensor to the cylinder head still no change the garage call him back out and he is now saying to send the ECU away for repair. What can I do please and advice more than welcome.
Thank you
Kirstie

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello Kirstie,

i have just joined the forums.

While the car was overheating was there suffiecient coolant available?

was the thermostate removed from the car?

usually disconnecting the car battery over night and reconnecting the next morning and taking it for a drive maintaining a rev at 2000 allows the ecu to reset.

the fan should switch on when the car reaches a certain temperature.

kirstie said:
Hiya all am new to this site and could really do with some help will explain whats happened from the start and see if anyone can help.
I have a 206cc 2001 1.6, the car over heated on me not last weekend but the one before so to it to a garage I was told the switch for the fan needed replacing so it was booked in for the following morning. I then get a phone call from the garage to tell me that the wiring that runs to my fan is corroded so the garage replace the wiring and then the fun begins. When the engine is turned on after a few seconds you hear the fan come on then the temp gauge flys into the red and the STOP starts flashing this does not stop at all then when I turn the engine off it takes about 5-10 mins for the fan to go off. Please remember that when I sent my car to the garage the temp gauge was working it didnt have the STOP warning on but the fan wasnt coming on when it should have.:mad: The garage then called an auto elec to it that said to replace the sensor .I have now had the sensor in the thermostat replaced which changed nothing, the garage call elec back out who says to replace the sensor to the cylinder head still no change the garage call him back out and he is now saying to send the ECU away for repair. What can I do please and advice more than welcome.
Thank you
Kirstie

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
i reckon when the did the wiring harness they have crossed the wires and got it hooked up wrong. tell them to revisit that, as that is what seems to have cause the major problems. i bet if the fan was just replaced, and the wiring was not touched, it would be fine...

hope you know what i mean and hope it helps :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes they was suffiecient coolant available

No the thermostate wasnt removed from the car should it have been

I have tryed askin for garage to check the wiring but all they are sayin to me is the wiring is fine and that they as got to be a problem with the ECU that they can not have caused?????:mad:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have jus been upto to the garage with my spare keys lol and disconected the battery will ring them first thing in the morning and tell them, why is it to be drove at 2000 rev not that I will prob understand just being nosy.

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
yeah garages would say it is fine so they dont have to get all the work... i had that problem with a garage that did my timing belt, went back 3 times to tell them, they said there is nothing wrong with the timing belt. got to point i took it peugeot they diagnosed a pully had been put on wrong, got an engineers report, went back to the garage , got all my money back...took it from the guy who did it wages. even had backup from trading standards if needed.

it shouldn't be the ECU, it was working before hand, apart from the fan not working as it should. and now it wont work at all since they got to it, put a new fan and rewired the corroded parts. seems to coincidental to me.

hope this helps....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
At the moment I have not paid the garage anythin as I dont believe in paying someone to make problems on my car. They wont listen to me am a silly woman that doesnt no anythin they are goin to be sending the ECU away tomorrow to be tested which I have made clear I am not paying for the only thing that I cant understand is how can it even be the ECU when none of this was happening untill they played with wires, surely even if at the worse they is somethin wrong with the ECU its they problem to put right :confused: isnt it cos its got to be because of what they have done. Why would my ECU part number sticker have been took off cos when the garage was ringing arrangin for the ECU to be sent away they noticed I dont have a part number on it?????

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi kirsty,had similar problem with citroen picasso.Temp gauge would shoot up to red and stop light come on,cooling fan would come on for a couple of seconds then switch off.changed temp sensor on top of thermostat housing no change.Was advised by citroen parts dept to change fan resistor as common fault,carried this out (took 5 mins) problem solved.hope this helps.:thumb:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts