Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

Firstly thanks for your help in advance. I wonder if anyone has had anything similar...

I have like a screeching noise similar to a fan belt/timing belt whatever it's called, not as loud and only at specific RPM's, mainly 2400 - 2800 and then at around 3800 - 4000 RPM. It doesn't matter whether it's hot or cold, in gear or neutral.

It's like a metal pulley or wheel is spinning and catching and rubbbing on other metal.

It's def not the belt, it's coming from the back of the engine on the left if you were to be stood at the front of the car.

Has anyone got any ideas? Water pump, alternator belt, tensioner??

Any help would be really appreciated.

Cheers

Fleg

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for replying bettyswallocks...

Found it!

Had a good look around this morning and ended up underneath the car, I dipped the accellerator with my hand and the rattle was right next to my ear. It was a guard/shield of somekind covering the cat convertor that had detached totally on one side due to rust and so was flapping and resonating against the cat box with the vibrations of the exaust system.

I pulled the guard off (as it was not screwed on) but does that cause other issues?? The only thing I can think of is if I go over a large speed bump and catch it?

G

·
It's there to stop the uber-hot cat setting fire to any grass etc if you happen to park on a field or verge. Stick to tarmac and it'll be sweet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.