Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all

I was driving in 5th gear this morning at 50mph in my 08 308 1.6VTI and i had to break quite sharpish because of the driver in front of me being a complete tool and paying no attention to what was ahead of him. id completely forgot to shift down some gears and tried accelerating from about 25mph back up to 50 still in 5th and that's when the depollution system faulty warning came up on my display!

I only had to drive around the corner to my house to park safely but the car was driving very odd.very little power and the engine just sounded different.when i parked up and had a proper listen it sounded like the fans were running on full speed and the timing was off.it also had high idle and a chug type sound going on.i turned the engine off and the fans continued for about 30 seconds very loudly and i could also hear a whistle so maybe this is a vacuum leak?

The only other time i had the exact same symptoms and depollution fault warning was when i sprayed a can of wynns egr cleaner in to the air system (WHICH I WILL NEVER DO AGAIN) . doing that made the fault pop up and the same symptoms above but the symptoms cleared within 15 minutes of leaving the car turned off and the fault on the dash and system cleared after some miles of driving

Any help greatly appreciated and thanks in advance :eek:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thank you for the reply

Im quite sure it was the accelerating quite heavy from a low speed in 5th that set it off because it made the car stutter a few times but why did this happen?

I've been thinking of buying a diagbox set up to read codes.is this the correct type i need as they seem to vary in price quite dramatically

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Diagnostic-Interface-Diagbox-Scanner-V7-83-PP2000-Lexia-3-for-Citroen-Peugeot-JU/173751394514?epid=23027364363&hash=item287463e0d2:g:owUAAOSwkERcEiIT

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just drove the car again to do the school run and as soon as i started the car the fans kicked in loudly throughout the whole drive and the pollution fault still there.it also still had that slight whirring sound still there to.performance wise the car drove as it usually does but maybe 10 minutes into driving i put my foot down to get some extra juice in 4th gear and the same happened again.car re told me pollution fault and the power went and the car just drove horribly with lots of hesitation and jumping going on

Do we have any ideas what's causing this? it seems to me a firing/ignition issue

I wonder if the K&P air filter is letting in to much air?

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
I wonder if the K&P air filter is letting in to much air?
That's not possible - you could run the engine without any filter (obviously not a good idea). The air coming in is measured by a sensor (usually a combined temperature and pressure sensor) and the fuel is metered accordingly.

The Lexia looks ok to me, but the proof of the pudding......

·
11,817 Posts
Thank you for the reply

Im quite sure it was the accelerating quite heavy from a low speed in 5th that set it off because it made the car stutter a few times but why did this happen?

I've been thinking of buying a diagbox set up to read codes.is this the correct type i need as they seem to vary in price quite dramatically

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Diagnostic-Interface-Diagbox-Scanner-V7-83-PP2000-Lexia-3-for-Citroen-Peugeot-JU/173751394514?epid=23027364363&hash=item287463e0d2:g:owUAAOSwkERcEiIT
No, that's the cut down cable I warn against in my guide.

https://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/how-guides-tutorials-153/peugeot-planet-buying-installing-using-336492/#post2240484

I bought this one for testing which is fine:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2016-Newest-V7-76-with-Serial-921815C-With-Original-Full-Chip-Lexia-3-PP2000-Diagbox-Lexia3/1000001561755.html?spm=a2g0s.12269583.0.0.647e6aabcc7nuL

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all.il buy the ali express scanner instead :)

Bit of an update.i took my car today to have a quick scan.they charged £30 and used a delphi scan tool which showed up a intermittent misfire on cylinder 3.i explained that cylinder 3's ignition coil is missing the rubber boot as it had melted on to the old spark plug when i changed them over and he said that's prob the cause so iv bought a new coil and fitted it.il let you know how it goes :thumb:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Car's running great.all idle issues,misfire's, + hesitation symptoms are all resolved thanks to replacing one ignition coil :thumb:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts