Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2.0 diesel very high price( bluehdi bad for city).
1.6 diesel slow and cold( bluehdi bad for city).
1.6 petrol unreliable (the dealer didnt recommend him)
1.2 petrol very small( 3 cylinders, vibrations, no acc( adaptive cruise)),unknown for reliability

·
Super Moderator
1,807 Posts
Mainly short journeys, 1.2. Long distance 2.0 diesel.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Engine

1.2 for town driving and the occasional motorway trip
1.6 - 120 BHP diesel for motorway driving
2.0 Diesel for towing

1.2 is a great engine and despite the size of the car it hauls it along pretty well

·
Registered
408 Posts
I've tried the 1.6 petrol and it was really, really nice. Smooth, full of power and consumes as much as the 1.2.

The 1.6 diesel was full of life too, excellent fuel economy.

In my case I went for the 2L simply because the lease was cheaper once including all the options.

1.2 was a no go for me as I do lots of motorway and I wanted ACC. If the 2L diesel would not have been cheaper I would have gone for the 1.6 petrol.
By the way, the problems are behind it, so you can go for it without big concerns....

·
Registered
91 Posts
i have the 1.2 petrol. a great engine - lots of pull and pretty damn quick in sport mode.

Not sure how often you will need ACC - but normal cruise control works for me......

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Each engine has it’s strengths and the weakness is only in what an individual does not find either suitable or of little use.
Me personally, I went with the Petrol 1.6 Auto which I find is absolutely brilliant.
It’s quick off the mark, scarily quiet, more so if you have the Focal audio upgrade (Focal comes with a very effective sound insulation) and maintains a good constant pull of power for long motorway journeys.

Never trust the dealer, they have agenda’s...... that and they often have a habit of contradicting their remarks.

·
Registered
620 Posts
1.6 BlurHDI 120 EAT6 here, after 5000+km I get 45-47mpg atm, mainly motorway (either 70mph UK or 130km/h french). Uphill on the motorway on cruise control the mpg drops to 32mpg and downhill to 60-70+mpg. So average seems about right .. not tried calculating the full tank mileage yet.
A french trip for me, there and back, will see 100-150 miles est left in the tank.

Had a GT 2.0 diesel for a day, overnight and morning, has 60bhp and 100nm more torque.

The 1.6 will cruise but lacks the top end puch/acceleration for getting around things, especially at 130km/h it will attempt to change down but then find it's out of the power and out of steam so acceleration is slow. The 1.6 sits in it's power band at 1750rpm at 70 leaving not much room to accelerate (especially up french hills). What the 1.6 will do is sit at 70mph/130kmh until it runs out of diesel, put 5 people and luggage and it will just about cope with 130km/h up hills but happier at lower speeds. At this point not even the sports button giving more rev range and more accelerate sensitivity will help..
The 2.0 doesn't suffer from this and pulls at the top end but it's still not a V6 or 3.0 diesel... it will cope with everything although naturally towing your speed is lower and most people prefer manual for control.

The EAT6 is ok, easy relaxed driving and it understands using engine braking down 12% motorway hills for example. It switched to D5 automatically to keep the car at 90km/h on cruise control for example..

My 1.8 TCDI Mk2 focus (manual) sat below it's power band at 70mph and so could enter it to accelerate which made 130km/h cruiseable on the turbo's power band.

·
Registered
420 Posts
2.0 diesel very high price( bluehdi bad for city).
1.6 diesel slow and cold( bluehdi bad for city).
1.6 petrol unreliable (the dealer didnt recommend him)
1.2 petrol very small( 3 cylinders, vibrations, no acc( adaptive cruise)),unknown for reliability
It depends on what you want to do with the car on a regular basis. If you like to tow things, you should choose the diesel with highest towing capacity. The 1,6 petrol should work for towing too, but it can't tow as heavy trailers as the diesel. If you drive in a city on a regular basis, you should stay away from all diesels. Period. 1,2 petrol is really only for people that don't load the car to maximum capacity or drive on motorways. The 1,6 petrol is for people that drive a lot in high speeds or need to load it to its maximum capacity. But the 1,6 will use more than the 1,2 in cities.

I test drove the 1,6 diesel (120hp) because it was the only engine they had in November last year, and it was way too slow for me. The 1,2 was not available, but I knew from the technical data that it was slow too. Since I'm not a huge fan of diesel engines, I only had one choice: the 1,6 petrol. It's at least as quick as the GT diesel. 6000 km later and it (obviously) works like it should. It's not the most powerful car I've got, but it does the job on motorways. I don't know why people on this forum (mainly from UK) think that engine is so unreliable. It's a BMW engine and there's no reliability issues in the Scandinavian forums I follow.

·
Registered
70 Posts
not sure but my RCZ had a 16 thp engine yea was tuned to 200bhp but the general build was similar those early engines had a few problems with the timing chain and tensioners but i do believe that they have all been ironed out my Z never skipped a beat think the BMW mini had same engine as well but they dropped it for reasons unknown
The 16 petrol is what i have gone with as i like "untroubled" engine on my "family car" as opposed to a red line mid life crisis car :eek:

·
Registered
103 Posts
I collected my new car yesterday and find the 1.2 auto engine incredible. It is the perfect engine for driving in Jersey and the occasional trips to France.

However, I have noticed (for lack of a better description) a sort of diesel sound when accelerating from low revs. Can any other 1.2 owners advise if the low rev noise is usual? It is the first 3 cylinder engine I have driven so have nothing to compare it against.

·
Registered
420 Posts
What Alex says: it's common for 3-sylinder engines to sound like old rally cars when they are pushed. Can confirm that my 108 with 1,0 petrol engine does the same (however much more rally sound than the more advanced 1,2 in the 3008).

It's not a Peugeot thing. All 3-sylinder petrol engines sound like that.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
my dealer call me today, but i was sleep =// night work, i ordered 5008 1.2 In june, I'm still not sure about the engine

1 - 17 of 17 Posts