Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I am need of an economical motorway mile muncher that is also big enough to have the child seat in comfortably and still have someone sitting in the back and front (not currently possible in my car). Theres just soooo many out there its hard to pick the good from the bad, im not to fussed on body work. Obviously loads of people giving me the old its french stay away but i really like the look of them and my brothers had a 55 206 1.4 since new and apart from me doing the servicing etc and one electrical glitch (cost 300ish) it hasnt really asked for much and is running well.

all apart form the usual service history, number of owners, previous mots and hpi checks is there anything else that are consider common problems on the 307s.

From what my little understanding is...the 1.6 is sometimes best avoided....apparently has problems if not throughly looked after with regular servicing...and as im not to worried about power but more about economy im thinking to go for the 1.4 diesel....i believe these do not have dpf's is this true??

Any advice would be greatly welcome thanks

·
Registered
196 Posts
The most reliable is probably the 2.0 HDi Diesel 90hp. 1.4 is quite gutless and the 2.0 would probably be more economical on the motorway. This engine doesn't have a FAP (french for DPF), has a mechanical turbo (not electronic) and is just generally easier and cheaper to fix when things do go wrong. It also has a solid-plate clutch whereas the more powerful ones have a DMF (dual mass flywheel - great when it works, expensive nightmare when it goes). Keep up with good oil changes and this engine will go and go.

Common faults with cars as they're getting older. Of course the benefit is parts are plentiful and you can learn DIY repairs for many things:
  • Airbag faults (wiring tends to go)
  • ABS faults (rusty sensors)
  • Sensor faults (airflow, coolant temperature) usually due to perished wiring
Check that the MFD in the centre dash works, as people disable it to hide faults sometimes!

Ultimately, it really depends how it's been driven and looked after, and your budget. The 90hp 2.0 litre wasn't used in the facelift model (as far as I am aware) so you're probably looking around 2005 at the latest for a good one. It is worth considering the SW model (slightly more expensive than the hatch) if you will use the space as it's a far more practical car than the hatchback.

·
11,731 Posts
Where are you? I'm thinking of selling my 2003 307 SE diesel. Its absolutely immaculate, very rare interior (must get some pics) and serviced regularly with no expense spared. Full 12 months MOT, it sails through every year.

I want it to go to someone who will appreciate it and the money and work gone into it.

I don't want to PX it to a spawny dealer who will offer peanuts, saying "that's book price mate" then re-sell it for £2k.

·
Registered
14,288 Posts
2litre 90 MUCH better than either of the small engines ok tax is more expensive but real life running costs are less due to it being a less complex engine with less to go wrong.

In theory the 1.6 can do better mpg but once you factor in ALL the other potential costs it is a no brainer 2 litre every time.

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
I've had two 307's. First was a 55 plate 1.6L 90bhp which ran like a dream until someone T boned me and wrote it off. Never had an issue with it. Replaced that with an 04 plate 2.0L 90bhp which also ran like a dream. No real issues with that one. All the jobs I had to do were down to the age of the car and the mileage - had nearly 200k on it when I traded it in last year and got peanuts for it. Both were solid cars with good engines and gearboxes. I was doing 600+ miles per week in them both and never had a single breakdown.

·
11,731 Posts
This is my 307 if you're interested. Private plate valued at £500, loads of SH, terracleaned, recent full injector refurb (MPG much better as a result). New tyres a couple of months back. And most of my how to guides on here are based on this car.

I'm a big believer of preventative maintenance. Twice a year I even go so far as to take off the wheels and clean and proof the components behind the wheel arch liners!

Bad points - a few supermarket trolley dings and scratches.

but I look at it after its had a clean and really reluctant to sell. I'm peer pressured because of my job and it sat in the car park amongst much newer cars!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Well,that looks like a great well cared for car Gibbo,and is a credit to the way you have looked after it.Anyone looking for a 307 would be a fool not to snap that up.
Good on you,for the way you have looked after it.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Beautiful car! Now I want to change my dashboard to the light colour - I didn't even know that was an option :)

I went for the facelift in the end for peer pressure reasons - still looks modern I think although when the car is as shiny as yours anyone would think it was new!

Can I ask your advice regarding terraclean? What did you think? (Sorry to thread hijack)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi thanks for all your posts advice and showing me pics of your car.

I have had just bought a 307 sw hdi 90bhp as it was at the right price and local. One problem that i noticed but have taken a gamble on; there is a high pitched squeak/whine which appears to be coming from the alternator area.

I have run out of time today to investigate further....but the alternator was changed at the start of the year and appears to be a new part and was given a receipt for this. My hunch on taking the gamble was that the tension on the belt is incorrect? If that is this the case how much would a garage to put right or can i do it myself...(i am confident doing quite a bit on the car, servicing brakes etc, but never really touched belts/clutches.

Any advice greatly appreciated, otherwise generally happy with my purchase

1 - 10 of 10 Posts