Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

I'm new to this forum and i must stress its a remarkable site with huge level of
community spirit.

Peugeot 307 1.4 HDI
Year: 2003
Mileage: roughly just slightly over 100k

Problem: struggling to go beyond the 70mph barrier. Can get it passed 70mph
however it is abit of a huge struggle, really have to press on hard in 4th gear and then in 5th gear.

From what i can describe about this car it is excellently well maintained and gets serviced every 7-8k miles and that includes a full service. Oil, air, fuel, pollen.

Ive also had the EGR valve cleaned using wyns egr cleaner and have cleaned the air intake system. This has helped abit and by pressing on hard on the accelertor, i can now get it close to 80mph.

from 0-70 mph it goes with ease, after the 70mph thats when you feel the pain.

Guys, would really appreciate everyone input. I'm really am banging my head against the wall, just dont know what other steps to take to get the car working properly.

Thanks

Adam :help:

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
help 1.4 HDI

Hi

Thanks, Bettyswollocks for your reply, appreciate it.

I do not really know whether it was like this before. i use to only drive it locally so have not really experimented on the motorway until fairly recently, couple of days when i have noticed that the struggle occurs after the 70mph barrier.

What sort of speed can i achieve without having to really bury my right foot to the floor?

I don't really know much about cars apart from servicing, apologies if i come across abit vague and useless in explaining.

Also i was not 100% sure of how to use the wyns egr cleaner. I had sprayed the whole content of the bottle in small burst after the airflow meter into the rubber pipe that also connects to the turbo. did i spray it into the right area, also was that the air flow system where i had sprayed the whole bottle into?

Currently the car is not remapped, i am thinking about this, probably have it done in the summer.

Betty, do you own a 307 1.4 hdi and if so how did yours drive and what sort of speed could you easily achieve, (without the remap).Also what sort of mpg can be easily achieved.

how can i test the air flow meter to see if this is what is causing the problem at top end?

Thanks

Adam

P

·
0 Posts
I've heard a few chaps saying that they got better performance from cleaning the plug on the accelerator cable. Could be worth a try.

But the important thing here is why your worrying to much. Speed limit 70 isnt it ;)

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi

Thank you for your replies

Ive had the car hooked onto Peugeot planet 2000. Live test has been carried out along with other various things, also there is no fault codes showing. As far as the diagnostics are concerned everything is fine.... hmmm

Ive also had thrown in forte diesel treatment and unfortunately that has not cured the problem.

Betty, ive took on what you have suggested on board and have unplugged the air flow meter and yes that is fine, the car runs lumpy and extremely slow by unplugging the MAF.

Now back to the drawing board.... cannot figure out what is causing the restriction at the top end. As mentioned before 0-70 mph, its a doddle, it goes with ease, after 70mph its struggling.

Has anyone owned or does own a 307 1.4 HDi? if so what sort of speed can they easily achieve (without remap)?

Ps: has anyone ever used wyns or valvoline EGR cleaner & if so would they recommend others using the product, is it a safe product to use by spraying into the air intake system?

Any other suggestions would be highly appreciated

Thanks

Adam

P

·
0 Posts
Hi

Thank you for your replies

Ive had the car hooked onto Peugeot planet 2000. Live test has been carried out along with other various things, also there is no fault codes showing. As far as the diagnostics are concerned everything is fine.... hmmm

Ive also had thrown in forte diesel treatment and unfortunately that has not cured the problem.

Betty, ive took on what you have suggested on board and have unplugged the air flow meter and yes that is fine, the car runs lumpy and extremely slow by unplugging the MAF.

Now back to the drawing board.... cannot figure out what is causing the restriction at the top end. As mentioned before 0-70 mph, its a doddle, it goes with ease, after 70mph its struggling.

Has anyone owned or does own a 307 1.4 HDi? if so what sort of speed can they easily achieve (without remap)?

Ps: has anyone ever used wyns or valvoline EGR cleaner & if so would they recommend others using the product, is it a safe product to use by spraying into the air intake system?

Any other suggestions would be highly appreciated

Thank

Adam
wynns egr3 cleaner is highly recommended. Cleaned a load of crap out of my car and was a massively noticeable difference. Spray 2 second blast with car running into air intake (take maf off first!) and use the whole can. Then rev it as instructed to suck it all through. In my case i had a big puddle of it in the pipe, third rev it, rev's went mental, sucked the leftovers through and left a huge 5mm thick puddle of gunk out of back. For a tenner, give it a go.

---

Note, i saw through planet readings my egr was stuck open and the cleaner sorted this out. As you say your living readings look ok, it may not make much diff. Still only a tenner, not worst thing to waste.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
307 1.4 HDi

Does the car rev freely through the gears accelerating until it gets to 70?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Hi Thank you for all your replies

That car does rev fine all the way through the rev range, in gear & without gear. Nothing
seems abnormal about the rev.

Ive now thrown in Lucas fuel treatment, hoping that it does something positive. I doubt it
very much it will do anything, the injectors are reading fine along with other various things.

Apologies guys, if my replies don't seem useful in helping to analyse the fault... I just
dont know what else to say

Ive seem to notice that on flat,uphill roads the car has no trouble in getting to 70mph after
70mph it is possible to squeeze abit more mph, however it can only be achieved with a little persuasion with your right foot slammed to the floor. However what intrigues me is on a road that is heading downhill, well not technically downhill but a slight decline in the road the car goes further than the 70mph to about 85mph, after this point the steering vibrates.

Took it to various garages, no luck. After explaining the problem one particular garage has come out with an absurd response which was... wait for it...... '' hmm its a peugeot and its 1.4 tired peugeot which has done fair few miles, you can't expect to get any more than what its currently giving you, my Hoover is more powerful than your engine''.

What er obnoxious individual!!

PS: By using the EGR cleaner through the conventional way, by squirting it into the air intake system, does it completely clean the air intake system,TURBO & EGR valve? After finishing using the EGR cleaner if i removed the components would i see any carbon build up?

Sorry, have mentioned this before but have not received a response... does anyone own or has owned a 1.4 hdi 307 (without remap) and if so what sort of maximum speed can they easily achieve without having to press on hard.

Thanks

Adam

·
Registered
385 Posts
I have a 307 1.4hdi 126,000k, I've owned it 3 years, had it remapped 1 year now.

Before the remap the car had a massive flat spot between 1500rpm and 2500rmp.

I really struggled to hit 70mph at the best of times. This is the reason I had the remap.
I felt the car was dangerous as I could barely keep up with the traffic at times.

Since the remap, I've done 12,000 miles, I regularly when on my private airfield hit 90mph now.

70mph is very easily achievable now.

Turbo lagg is massively reduced and boosts from about 14000 rpm.

You need to remember its a tiny engine in a reasonably large car.

P

·
0 Posts
Hi Thank you for all your replies

That car does rev fine all the way through the rev range, in gear & without gear. Nothing
seems abnormal about the rev.

Ive now thrown in Lucas fuel treatment, hoping that it does something positive. I doubt it
very much it will do anything, the injectors are reading fine along with other various things.

Apologies guys, if my replies don't seem useful in helping to analyse the fault... I just
dont know what else to say

Ive seem to notice that on flat,uphill roads the car has no trouble in getting to 70mph after
70mph it is possible to squeeze abit more mph, however it can only be achieved with a little persuasion with your right foot slammed to the floor. However what intrigues me is on a road that is heading downhill, well not technically downhill but a slight decline in the road the car goes further than the 70mph to about 85mph, after this point the steering vibrates.

Took it to various garages, no luck. After explaining the problem one particular garage has come out with an absurd response which was... wait for it...... '' hmm its a peugeot and its 1.4 tired peugeot which has done fair few miles, you can't expect to get any more than what its currently giving you, my Hoover is more powerful than your engine''.

What er obnoxious little TWATT?

PS: By using the EGR cleaner through the conventional way, by squirting it into the air intake system, does it completely clean the air intake system,TURBO & EGR valve? After finishing using the EGR cleaner if i removed the components would i see any carbon build up?

Sorry, have mentioned this before but have not received a response... does anyone own or has owned a 1.4 hdi 307 (without remap) and if so what sort of maximum speed can they easily achieve without having to press on hard.

Thanks

Adam
Never goto that garage again. I used the wynns egr3 cleaner through the air intake as i wasn't prepared for taking engine mounts off. 2.0L engine is more work. I believe the 1.4 is a lot easier to take the individual parts out and clean separately. If i had a 1.4 i would take them out and clean properly.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi

Thank you guys for your replies

After a stressful day & yet no garages that i have been to could
diagnose the fault, i decided to bang my head against the bonnet.... just lost hope for a second... and then had a brain wave, well not much of a brain wave but more of what else have i missed out sort of thing.

I decided to clean the air flow meter with CRC AIR SENSOR CLEANER, once it had been cleaned and dried. Carried out another test run, did go beyond the 70mph (dont know whether i pressed hard or not)... but gut feeling suggested that its probably was a psychological thing, thinking it has now sorted it self out.

Then took it to Peugeot, & decided there is no harm in buying & trying another Air Filter... bought it and changed it on the peugeot forecourt. Drove home & ive got to say va va vroom vroom. It felt and drove like a new car, i did not know i was doing 89mph, realised the speed when i had to get of at the next junction. I had honestly thought i was doing 70.

Well pleased with the outcome, just to be 100% sure will definitely carry out another test run tomorrow. But now coming to think of it, the after 70mph restriction had only occurred after i have given it a full service...... so fingers crossed, if it drives well as it did today i'm probably going to put it down to a defective Air Filter.

The old air filter (still looks new) is a genuine peugeot Air filter.
Ive still got it.

Thanks to all those that have helped and supported me, appreciate it.

Adam :)

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi

Thank you guys for your replies

After a stressful day & yet no garages that i have been to could
diagnose the fault, i decided to bang my head against the bonnet.... just lost hope for a second... and then had a brain wave, well not much of a brain wave but more of what else have i missed out sort of thing.

I decided to clean the air flow meter with CRC AIR SENSOR CLEANER, once it had been cleaned and dried. Carried out another test run, did go beyond the 70mph (dont know whether i pressed hard or not)... but gut feeling suggested that its probably was a psychological thing, thinking it has now sorted it self out.

Then took it to Peugeot, & decided there is no harm in buying & trying another Air Filter... bought it and changed it on the peugeot forecourt. Drove home & ive got to say va va vroom vroom. It felt and drove like a new car, i did not know i was doing 89mph, realised the speed when i had to get of at the next junction. I had honestly thought i was doing 70.

Well pleased with the outcome, just to be 100% sure will definitely carry out another test run tomorrow. But now coming to think of it, the after 70mph restriction had only occurred after i have given it a full service...... so fingers crossed, if it drives well as it did today i'm probably going to put it down to a defective Air Filter.

The old air filter (still looks new) is a genuine peugeot Air filter.
Ive still got it.

Thanks to all those that have helped and supported me, appreciate it.

Adam :)

Hi guys

Spoke abit too soon... unfortunately the new air filter did not cure the problem.

Had it diagnosed by peugeot & yes i think they may have found the problem. It seems like an expensive repair/replacement.

Ive been told that the Catalytic Converter seems to be the problem & would need replacing.

Can peugeot diagnosis be right?

looking forward to your input, guys.

Thanks

Adam :confused:

·
12,079 Posts
Depends if Planet brought up the code for the cat and they went underneath and inspected it.

How old is your car, what mileage and any history of a cat replacement?

If you need one, get a price from CATS2U.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
1.4 HDi

Depends if Planet brought up the code for the cat and they went underneath and inspected it.

How old is your car, what mileage and any history of a cat replacement?

If you need one, get a price from CATS2U.

Hi

Thanks Gibbo for your input, highly appreciate it & thanks to all those
who have helped and provided support.

Ive had the CAT replaced, and touch wood its going well.

Now i seem to have another problem with the airbag light appearing on the dash. I'll post this on a new thread to prevent any confusion to the readers and contributors.

Thanks

Adam

1 - 17 of 17 Posts