Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

I really need a little help from you guys!

I've had an intermittent knocking on the front left of my car for a month now while going over bumps, the other day though i went over a big pothole and the knocking got much worse! Its knocking loads now at low speed on uneven ground.

I can reproduce this noice when driving really slowly and wobbling the steering wheel left and right (this may help someone guess what it could be?)

My local garage has said I need new track rod ends a while ago which I have tried to change but are seized (of course)

So, you guys think it might be the track rod rod end making the knocking noise? it doesnt really knock when turning so I wasnt sure about it? I'll head to the garage on monday but any thoughts would be really appreciated as im a bit worried about driving the car til then!

Cheers guys!
Eddie

R

·
0 Posts
drop links are a common fault through wear and tear and not that exspensive to replace.

·
5,830 Posts
I have just replaced inner rack ends due to knock from the front of my 307.

With the car jacked up you can often feel and hear it if you rock the wheel from side to side.

·
Registered
9,733 Posts
I had same one in wifes car , couldn`t find it so stuck in second hand shock , that cured it :thumb:

Might not be your problem just another idea .

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Still No luck!

Well guys!

I've been plagued now by this knocking for a while and now had lots of parts replaced! But! its still bloody knocking over bumps, i am going crazy!!!!

Here's whats been swapped out...

strut top mounts
springs
anti roll bar link
anti roll bar bushes
track rods
track rod ends

Now, bottom ball joint has not been done, but the garage I took it too said they were fine, no play at all. Not sure if I should get them to swap it out anyway.

No visible leaking from the shock so I assume its ok. The garage didnt mention anything.

To be honest with you all im pulling my hair out here! Anyone here have any ideas what's left to try???

I'm only getting the knocking while driving over slightly larger potholes etc, but its a pretty loud knock!

Any help would be REALLY great!!! :confused:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Righty!

Thanks for the reply Sandman!

Looks like the lower arm is next! It "seems" like quite a straight forward job apart from the removing the driveshaft part, after a bit of checking it seems the middle bolt is obstructed by the drive shaft? Any way for me to avoid taking out the drive shaft or will it have to come out?

I'll be replacing the whole arm I think...

Anyone? :)

D

·
0 Posts
Its where the inner anti roll bar bush metal bracket fits over the little steel rod is usually the problem. I've loads of them done. Fit a section of rubber piping over the steel rod and refit the antiroll bar bush bracket.

Sent from my GT-S5690

·
Registered
171 Posts
Righty!

Thanks for the reply Sandman!

Looks like the lower arm is next! It "seems" like quite a straight forward job apart from the removing the driveshaft part, after a bit of checking it seems the middle bolt is obstructed by the drive shaft? Any way for me to avoid taking out the drive shaft or will it have to come out?

I'll be replacing the whole arm I think...

Anyone? :)
I had to pull the shaft, couldn't really find any other way so i would guess not.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Dave!

I actually swapped out the anti roll bar bushes today for new ones and completely forgot about putting a piece of rubber pipe on the bracket, till I got home and noticed the bit of hose pipe in my tool box that i'd cut a few weeks ago for exactly that!

Doh!

I'll give that a go at the weekend and see if it helps!

Otherwise i'll move on to swapping out the lower arm...

Wow! Its not boring being a 307 owner... :rolleyes:

D

·
0 Posts
You'll know when you remove the bracket. There will little shiny bits on it.

Sent from my GT-S5690

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
aaaaaaah!!!!

Mate, it had a couple of spots that were sparkling!, very shiny metal! I just though it was the first time the bracket had come off!

OK :D God I will be so happy to get rid of that knocking!

As i'm in Sweden and its been a hard winter (as usual) The roads have been destroyed by snow plows and everyones studded winter tyres. There's more pot holes than flat bits on the roads at the moment!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts