Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I must first say that I am no expert, but I do own an Expert Tepee!
My problem has been a common one apparently, that the heater fan resistor connections are failing and causing the fan to only work on maximum. They are in a sorry state having overheated and slightly melted due I suppose to high resistance in the connections.
I cleaned them up and despite the condition the heater worked again for a short time.
I had followed a thread on the forum under the Van section that was very helpful but I wondered if there was a way to increase the life of this part by using some electrical conductive grease, in my imagination it was copper grease.
Actually on further investigation copper grease is not good.
My main worry was that it was a crazy idea as the grease might melt with heat and conduct electricity everywhere shorting things out.
I am about to replace the connector on my resistor now and am thinking again about the idea.
So I am raising this topic for discussion.
Apparently conductive grease is used a lot to prevent corrosion which would cause exactly the problem we experience all the time with heater resistor connections, I am not sure what they are made of but they break down and do not conduct effectively after a while.
One place the grease is often used is battery terminals.
This is also one place where the plus and minus is far apart...
So does little to calm my worries about shorting out.
But from what I read the grease is not conductive, and is used very sparingly, purely to stop the corrosion.
Here is a link to some reading on one of the many manufacturers websites:
Electrical Contact Lubricant - Conductive Electrical Grease | Sanchem, Inc.
So, any thoughts on this subject please?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,055 Posts
If I had the special grease I would use it on high amp terminals like relay pins in a situation where they might get damp, eg engine compartment.
Having said that the fan on our 807 packed up 8 years ago and the cure was to pull and push the large connecting plugs inside the fan off and on a few times and it's worked ever since.
 
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Top