Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Grrrr! :mad: Right, I left for work this morning, chucking it down with rain so whack the headlights on and another one has blown!! That's the third time that's happened now in about 6 months. Twice on near side, this time it's the offside.

Is there any reason why this keeps happening? Obviously it's not a huge problem because it only costs a fiver or so but it's so frustrating and annoying! Especially now it's getting darker earlier, I actually need my lights. At first I thought nothing of it, just thought I was unlucky, but there must be another reason why they keep blowing. I had the same problem with my last car which was a 206 but I was selling it at the time so didn't care..

Can anyone help at all?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
check all connections to see if they are corroding/melting away or just loose...i had a problem with my indicators...turned out one of the connectors burned away...only a few quid from dealers.

S

·
0 Posts
Same here for brake/rear lights

I literally changed one in the afternoon, then got pulled over at night for the other one being out! :eek:

Think i'm going to start changing them in pairs, just to see if that makes a difference!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Stubbo said:
Same here for brake/rear lights

I literally changed one in the afternoon, then got pulled over at night for the other one being out! :eek:

Think i'm going to start changing them in pairs, just to see if that makes a difference!!
Cheers John, I'll have a butchers and look for any corroding.

Stubbo; it is annoying ain't it! Some guy I spoke to (works at Kwik fit) reckons there's no reason for it other than the fact the lights are being used, just 'wear and tear' apparently. There must another reason though, my lights at home don't blow this frequently! That said though they don't have to brave the elements...

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Mind you - driving over the poorly maintained road network - shaking the crap out of the bulbs won't help either. I blame clegg/cameron.

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
i would blame the last government...they are the ones who let it get to this state on the road network... they have relatively just got into power and still trying to sort what labour have fucked up...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Dipped beam failure

Hi math_307,

Did you actually find out what the fault was? My Peugeot 407 has now blown 3 dipped beam headlamps in a matter of three weeks. I've not touched the filament when installing them, so not down to my sweaty hands. It started when the car developed an ABS/ESP fault - Any ideas anyone?
:mad::mad::mad:

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have had the same prolem on my 308. Changed the right side driving lamp about 5 months ago...blown again. I dont know if its because it is constantly on or what but that seems a bit too soon, doesn't it?

·
Registered
1 Posts
headlamps keep blowing

Had this problem for last year with a friends 2006 407 The h/lamps blowing every few weeks , car set on dtr lights, so on all time car in running day and night, Now when you look at the projector lence looks faded. Bulbs that have blown all been overheated .Must be to much heat being reflected back at bulbs , thus getting to hot and burning out ???

·
Registered
19 Posts
Had this problem for last year with a friends 2006 407 The h/lamps blowing every few weeks , car set on dtr lights, so on all time car in running day and night, Now when you look at the projector lence looks faded. Bulbs that have blown all been overheated .Must be to much heat being reflected back at bulbs , thus getting to hot and burning out ???
My ABS/ESP fault & my headlight blowing continuously was a coincidence. The fault was a brake sensor (What a pain to change) and after the 3rd bulb replacement the h/light has been fine ever since.

·
Registered
66 Posts
In other threads I have read that the best policy is to change 'em in pairs. Think I'm gonna try that next...when I get a flash of energy :) Its a pain in the rear changing these on my car...got NO space to get your hands in there.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Seems to be a pug thing really. I have a few recurring customers who comes in several times a year to change front bulbs on their pugs. 207s, 307s, 407s. Funny, my 3 different 406 cars never blew a bulb in the 8 or so years I had them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ours used to do this often too - most often on the RH side.

The fix for ours seemed incredibly simple, just turned the connector upside down. Wires pointing up, not down as feels most natural. Seemed like the soft metal in the bulb clamp was somehow shorting to the connector/wires under unknown condition(s).

Not blown a bulb for about almost 12 months now - but no guarantee provided with the fix :)

T

·
Registered
241 Posts
If I were you I would check the voltage across the battery when the engines running.
If the voltage regulator in the alternator is gone then you'll be getting voltage spikes, this could easily blow you headlight bulbs, and if you don't sort it you could end up frying the ECU too. Get a volt meter on it, should hold steady around 14.2 volts.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hi

This is a known issue for Peugeot among others. this is due to high charging voltage. It is possible to resolve this by installing a resistor in connection to the headlights
regs

1 - 17 of 17 Posts