Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
HELLP!

I've just bought a 1.6 HDI 110 GT 207. Everything is perfect and was perfect!

However been using it for work and today come across a very odd thing. On the way to work the Headlights and dashboard started flashing erratically.

In Off or Auto mode the head lights just flash. All the backlights on the dash flash on and off. With then on Sidelights or Dipped beam setting they're fine and work fine!

With the Engine Off and in Auto or Zero the headlights are off as expected.
With the Engine On and in Auto or Zero the headlights flash erratically.
With the Engine On and in Sidelights or Dipped Beam the headlights are fine!

Don't seem to have any other problems. Everything works fine. Engine starts and runs fine!

I've plugged Peugeot Planet in and done a full diag but nothing shows as a fault....

Does anyone know what could be causing this? Bad Battery, Bad alternator?

Youtube video here that I uploaded to make it a little more easier than explaining...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQKxBd9zq8c

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd say you've got a bad ground point somewhere, other a loose connection or a dirty connection
I initially thought it could be earth, but would it work perfectly when on Dipped beam?

This flickering issue only occurs in Auto or Off. There actually isn't anyway to turn them fully off at the moment. Either have to have them on Side Light or Dipped Beam to stop them flashing.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Possibly an issue with the Comm unit. With the car started how does it behave if you wiggle the stalk with the lighting controls on when in Auto mode? If you move the stalk or turn the lighting control ring and it seems to cause the lights to come on then I would say it's the Comm until or switch problem (lights on usually triggers the dash lights anyway depending on the ambient light).

·
Registered
4,784 Posts
HELLP!

I've just bought a 1.6 HDI 110 GT 207. Everything is perfect and was perfect!

However been using it for work and today come across a very odd thing. On the way to work the Headlights and dashboard started flashing erratically.

In Off or Auto mode the head lights just flash. All the backlights on the dash flash on and off. With then on Sidelights or Dipped beam setting they're fine and work fine!

With the Engine Off and in Auto or Zero the headlights are off as expected.
With the Engine On and in Auto or Zero the headlights flash erratically.
With the Engine On and in Sidelights or Dipped Beam the headlights are fine!

Don't seem to have any other problems. Everything works fine. Engine starts and runs fine!

I've plugged Peugeot Planet in and done a full diag but nothing shows as a fault....

Does anyone know what could be causing this? Bad Battery, Bad alternator?

Youtube video here that I uploaded to make it a little more easier than explaining...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQKxBd9zq8c
sounds like comms unit to me, if its a comm 2005 then you need another unit if its a comm 2003 delphi then it can be repaired

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Engine off Ignition on everything works as expected. Auto mode and Off mode the lights are off. Side and Dipped beam work fine. No flashing!

Its only when the engine is running that I get issues. No matter what I do, buttons I press In Auto or Off the lights just flickr.

The dash flickering is a result of the backlight coming on and off with the headlights.

But again even with the Engine running in Side Lights or Dipped beam the lights work fine!

Where is the Comm unit and is it something I can replace myself?

Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
4,784 Posts
Engine off Ignition on everything works as expected. Auto mode and Off mode the lights are off. Side and Dipped beam work fine. No flashing!

Its only when the engine is running that I get issues. No matter what I do, buttons I press In Auto or Off the lights just flickr.

The dash flickering is a result of the backlight coming on and off with the headlights.

But again even with the Engine running in Side Lights or Dipped beam the lights work fine!

Where is the Comm unit and is it something I can replace myself?

Thanks for the replies.
the comms unit it the indicator/light/wiper switch. it requires you to take off the drivers airbag and steering wheel

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the comms unit it the indicator/light/wiper switch. it requires you to take off the drivers airbag and steering wheel

Ok Thanks, I'll have a look into it. If I can get a replacement cheap enough i'll just do that as a first point to trial.

It's an annoying issue as I can't actually figure out what would cause it. It's perfect flash to be a loose connection or earth. And all works perfect in Dipped beam mode! :(

·
Registered
227 Posts
The Haynes manual says you only have to remove the steering column upper and lower shrouds to access the switch wiring connector. Why not just disconnect the switch and then start the engine? If the lights don't flash then it surely proves the switch is faulty.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Haynes manual says you only have to remove the steering column upper and lower shrouds to access the switch wiring connector. Why not just disconnect the switch and then start the engine? If the lights don't flash then it surely proves the switch is faulty.
Great idea and i'll give that a go this evening! I'm faily technical minded when it comes to wireing / replacing parts. But this CANBUS stuff scares me. I did retro-fit Cruise control in my old 207. Thinking of doing the same in the new one.

Cheers.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I know what you mean! I tried to trace the switch wiring from the diagram and it makes no sense at all. Still, I think disconnecting the switch should prove it.

·
Registered
4,784 Posts
Great idea and i'll give that a go this evening! I'm faily technical minded when it comes to wireing / replacing parts. But this CANBUS stuff scares me. I did retro-fit Cruise control in my old 207. Thinking of doing the same in the new one.

Cheers.
the car will not start with the comms unit disconnected as the immobilizer goes through it

·
Registered
362 Posts
Comm unit almost sure. Here user Trustme is an expert on it. Send him a private message or do a search in the forum with 'COMM 2000' and you'll find a lot of info about related problems and if your case fits for this reparation.

Hope it helps, erick

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the car will not start with the comms unit disconnected as the immobilizer goes through it

Is it possible to just unplug the left hand stalk? Or somehow check in Peugeot Planet if the switch is functioning correctly?

Also what cost / process am I looking at to have it repaired?

I had a good search for some comm unit threads but none seem to relate to my headlight flashing issue? Only indicator stuff usually?..

·
Registered
4,784 Posts
Is it possible to just unplug the left hand stalk? Or somehow check in Peugeot Planet if the switch is functioning correctly?

Also what cost / process am I looking at to have it repaired?

I had a good search for some comm unit threads but none seem to relate to my headlight flashing issue? Only indicator stuff usually?..
take the panel off round the steering column and have a look what version of comms unit you have on there a comm 2003 delphi comm 2003 valeo comm 2005 delphi .......

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Had a quick look tonight. Unfortuanlty was dark when I was home form work, but took teh cover off and looks like I have a Comm2005 according to a sticker on top!

I also had a quick look at removing the indicator stalk all together but couldn't see a quick easy way to just unplug it, and didn't want to start un bolting things tonight as I need it for work tomorrow!
Before I start tackling it, is it an easy job to get out? Or will it not remove?

Also guessing my only option is to replace the entire comms Unit?

Thanks Jay

·
Registered
227 Posts
The Haynes manual says there are 2 screws retaining the stalk which you access by turning the steering wheel with the shrouds off. There may also be a retaining clip which is released with a small screwdriver and the stalk should then slide out. Not clear on this clip as the manual only shows it on the audio stalk.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts