Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought i'd have a go at removing some scratches from my 206 CC headlights with mixed success.

Using a combination of a few different grades of wet n dry sandpaper and a water sprayer I've managed to pretty much remove the scratches. Good times.

Now came the difficult bit, polishing it back up again. It seems to me that the surface of the lenses is rather a tough customer and I've not been able to buff them back up. I'm using a 850w DA polisher with a variety of sonus pads, meguiars diamond cut and a selection of Menzerna polishes.

Anyone tried to do this before and had more success than I?

Thanks, Matt

·
Registered
464 Posts
Before you start polishing, you need to sand your way out - whatever grit of paper you used last is probably only a starting point - you should work your way finer and finer right up to at the very least, 1500, then 2000, and possibly to 2500 (if you can find it, it's not that common) and use soapy water for a little extra smoothness.

Once you are there, then you can start to polish, I personally recommend either farecla G3 then G10 or 3m Perfect it Fast Cut then Perfect it Extra Fine BUT here's the catch - if you have to buy all that stuff, you might actually be better off buying new headlamps as it can get expensive if you're only buying it for the one job....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can see where this is going..

<cringe> I was using 180 grit for getting the scratches out and 400 for finishing off</cringe>

I've got some decent stuff on order. I'll have a go at smoothing out my attempts with the rough stuff.

Thanks, Matt

·
Registered
80 Posts
My 407 headlights are rough. (like sand blasted)
In the past -To get rid of a laquer overspray -, I used T cut then Mcguires and finally AutoGlym polish all with a mechanical polisher.
I now wonder if I have weakened the headlight acrylic in some way as it is now worse again.

Am I looking at a new set for the next MoT where is the best place to get them. Are they the same as 307/207 etc.

·
Registered
821 Posts
You HAVE to use a UV protectant afterwards otherwise it comes back much quicker. That pitting you use is a laquer UV applied and gets chipped off, which oxidises the plastic underneath.

Use a headlight restorer that has a UV protectant spray in it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I used 3M and some uv resistant plastic lacquer on my Espace headlight with good results. The kit cost around £30 as far as I can remember.

xxxxhttps://drive.google.com/file/d/1E5k5VN8DWB0_UAKDA7hYe8wIlp3Yc8uDLw/view?usp=sharingxxxx

·
Registered
39 Posts
I used toothpaste for my very foggy lights, was very doubtful but it worked fine. Not like new but it was almost clear.

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
80 Posts
You HAVE to use a UV protectant afterwards otherwise it comes back much quicker. That pitting you use is a laquer UV applied and gets chipped off, which oxidises the plastic underneath.

Use a headlight restorer that has a UV protectant spray in it.
I never thought of that.
Looks like I'll leave them as they are and polish just before the MoT next year or go for it and buy 2 new ones around £85 each.

Probably more after Brexit but who cares as long as we leave!:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts