Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering upgrading my headlight bulbs for my 57 reg 407.
Xeon Halogen or something much brighter than the factory bulbs.
What I am concerned about is the brighter bulbs over heating and affecting my plastic headlights

What di those who know these things suggest would be suitable?

Many thanks in advance.

·
3,406 Posts
Hi...on my 407 I use Osram Night Breakers...better whiter light...

·
Registered
31 Posts
As far as I know, light housing for Xeon and non-Xeon on 407 is the same. But bear in mind local laws-in my country I can't fit Xeons if car doesn't have headlight washers.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
407 headlights are bright enough if you cant see then either your headlights have an issue or your eyes have an issue
New headlights will fix it if the lights are faulty but if its your eyes that are faulty putting brighter bulbs in and blinding other drivers is not very considerate to the drivers who can still see.

·
Super Moderator
1,790 Posts
Another vote for osram nightbreakers from me.

Reactions: noddy-hol

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
407 headlights are bright enough if you cant see then either your headlights have an issue or your eyes have an issue
New headlights will fix it if the lights are faulty but if its your eyes that are faulty putting brighter bulbs in and blinding other drivers is not very considerate to the drivers who can still see.
FYI
I have had cataracts in both eyes done and can see perfectly. What is hard is all the newer cars with "floodlight power " xenon headlights blinding me, so I thought I would join the club and see better and further = safer night driving!

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Thats exactly my point if EVERYONE has rediculously bright headlights just for the sake of it then we will ALL be blind then what do we do !!

So basically what your reply says is your lights are fine but you FEEL inferior and want to blind everyone that is a sad state of affairs
Everyone drives with foglights on are you joining that club too?

Too much light is actually WORSE for night driving as the reflected light from all the other light sources is what makes it hard to see

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just ordered a pair of Osram Nightbreakers Laser H1 fitting. £14.94 Amazon
For others it looks like the crucial point is not to tough the bulb glass AT ALL when fitting if you want them to last a few years!
I'll also be wearing cotton gloves just in case!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thats exactly my point if EVERYONE has rediculously bright headlights just for the sake of it then we will ALL be blind then what do we do !!

So basically what your reply says is your lights are fine but you FEEL inferior and want to blind everyone that is a sad state of affairs
Everyone drives with foglights on are you joining that club too?

Too much light is actually WORSE for night driving as the reflected light from all the other light sources is what makes it hard to see
Yes I have been driving with fog lights on this winter. Better than without.
I am also wearing night vision glasses (yellow tint) really good with blinding white headlight but make bright RED break lights worse so probably a good thing!

I want the better lights to see better. If I blind others then so be it.
Perhaps its the the brighter Halogen/Xenon lights should be banned, not me from joining the club!

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Yes you are correct the modern headlights SHOULD be banned they are too bright and blinding but you blinding others is not helping the problem you are being inconsiderate and breaking the law using your foglights when its not foggy

I am 50 years old and i can drive at night without high beam or foglights to help me so if you cannot your eyes are not up to DVLA requirements and you should not drive at night using extra lights to compensate for that fact you cannot see is NOT the answer

I have been saying this for 20 years and people are now begining to understand my complaints i agree that some cars have poor headlights but the 407 is NOT one of them !

·
Super Moderator
1,790 Posts
Just ordered a pair of Osram Nightbreakers Laser H1 fitting. £14.94 Amazon
For others it looks like the crucial point is not to tough the bulb glass AT ALL when fitting if you want them to last a few years!
I'll also be wearing cotton gloves just in case!
If you are changing your dipped beam are they not h7 bulbs? I could be wrong but best check. Full beam are h1 I think.

·
Super Moderator
1,790 Posts
Also, I think what points need made about the brightness of modern bulbs have been made. Back to topic please.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Why do you use your foglights!? It doesn't help you see any further at all...... all it does is cause a lot of glare for other users.

·
6,777 Posts
OFF TOPIC - I think that if the EU want to improve safety (eg make tyre pressure sensors mandatory etc) they should mandate that if you turn on fog lights vehicle is restricted to 50 MPH as driving conditions are bad with poor visibility ?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts