Peugeot Forums banner

head rattling

2K views 15 replies 3 participants last post by  matt002 
#1 · (Edited)
hello everyone :)
so, last week timing belt and water pump was changed, then oil and filter was suppose to be changed the following morning but there was a bit of a f*ck up! instead of draining the engine oil from sump, gear oil was drained, and engine was still filled up by 3 litres..car was driven like this for 2 days then the mistake was corrected, gearbox filled with fresh oil and engine completely emptied then filled with fresh oil..everything is perfect except theres a rattling kinda noise from the head which goes away about 1900-2000 revs..from what im told this is the tappets, as a result of the bad old change? and im told theres a way to fix this, can somebody please help me on this? thanks in advance :)

2002 307 1.4hdi

#10 ·
What a debacle.... on my

My first thought was possibly the timing belt tensioner... have heard they rattle if not put on correctly, which if done by the same chap who mistook the engine sump drain for the gearbox is most likely.

#11 ·
to put it simply, it has the wrong oil in it. Go buy some 5w40 fully synthetic and a new oil filter. Drain the system completely, replace oil filter and refill using the new oil.
Problem is the damage may have already been caused

#13 ·
gearbox or engine damage... a gearbox with no oil means parts with no lubrication causing friction, teeth damage, gear damage, wear etc

An engine with too much oil can also cause problems... gaskets or seal leaks for one

#15 ·
you need the correct oil in the engine ASAP, the damage i was on about was too much oil creates high oil pessure, plus you have the wrong oil int the engine so every time its running its creating more damage.
Also as said above a gearbox with no oil is very very bad, your gears and diff etc etc will have suffered from this mistake. It might take a while for the effects to come to ligh but there has been untold wear on these mechanical parts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.