Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have a feeling i'm going to become the most hated person on here I post that often LOL! here I go again! 1.4 54 plate 307-petrol.

I posted the other day about my engine been really loud recently...today I thought I would add some oil anyway inside the oil cap was full of like yellow gunky stuff I know this can mean a serious problem right? :-/ I have had no problems with the car apart from the loud engine and now the gunk to indicate a gasket problem ie..no overheating.

so...whats the diagnosis? I need the car to get to work everyday and am currently waiting on hearing back from my local garage about booking it in to be checked.

btw I cleaned the oil cap..if it is the head gasket how long do you reckon it will take to gunk up again?

do I risk driving it? i'd only be covering approximately 5 miles a day until it gets booked in.

thanks guys :thumb:

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
have a look in the water does it look gunky have a look inside the oil filer cap hole and look for milkiness.

you do sometimes get some gunk on the cap

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the water looks fine...I cant see inside the hole as it has like a plastic piece where the oil trickles round it and then goes into the hole so I can only go by the oil cap. I have checked the dipstick and the oil seems to be the colour it usually is.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
In damp weather with only short journies the engine will get a bit of mayo (gunk) appearing try doing a longer run get the engine really hot

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thankyou Jagn I had the car at the garage Friday and he checked it and it was fine then...I drove there and back which is about 6 miles all in all...then went out in the car today...could it be because it has just been stood for 2 days?

will I be ok using it for work?
I don't want to drive it too far incase something happens.
recently a friends car set fire while I was driving and its made me really paranoid!

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Thankyou Jagn I had the car at the garage Friday and he checked it and it was fine then...I drove there and back which is about 6 miles all in all...then went out in the car today...could it be because it has just been stood for 2 days?

will I be ok using it for work?
I don't want to drive it too far incase something happens.
recently a friends car set fire while I was driving and its made me really paranoid!
the weather at night now is very damp I see it every night at work if your engine is left for a few days it will show signs of damp in the oil until warmed up properly ,,
I cannot say If or When or anything else about your engine blowing up I have not heard it

If you do not drive it because of someone elses car catching on fire you may as well get a weekly bus ticket

What did the Mechanic say about it ? If he did not say do not drive it & you trust him I would take his advice

I would say that 3 or 6 miles is not enough to get an engine hot enough to evaporate any Mayo (gunk) If your head gasket has gone

It would be losing water & oil and quite a bit of steam would be coming from the exhaust Usually

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the oil doesn't seem to be going down and I have had the water in for 4 weeks and not had to refill...I filled it up to max and its just below that now...the mechanic said everything seemed ok with the car he even drove it around...he said he had given it a full check over and nothing seemed out of place and just that the engine sounded noisy like it had been starved of oil at some point...which I am guessing is from an oil leak I had fixed 2 weeks ago?? he just said to take it back if I notice any leaking or if the engine management light comes on...as he did the diagnostic check and that didn't bring anything up either.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts