Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000, auto 1.4 @ 59k miles. I do 2-3k per year and don't do to 70 much, but my new job u have to use the motorway.

I have seen fluid on the drive and my garage says head gasket.
they said to leave it as long as possible cos 'in their experience' once repaired they break again very quickly. this sound hinky to me! I know nothing about cars, am I best to take it to Peugeot to fix.

they also said they have been checking my gear fluid and then today said they don't have the special key to do this......i think I need a new garage anyway.
I mentioned this cos it is jerking in idol and when changing to park.

if I get the head gasket replaced what is the expected life?

· Registered
5,942 Posts
My opinion is if it is done right then it should last as long as an original. Your car is 17 years old and only done 59k ehich is very low. An old low mileage car can be just as bad as a high miler and in some cass worse if the high miler has been well looked after. Your head gasket failure is probably due to the gasket breaking down through age rather than anything else. The longer you leave it the more damage you could cause. First job would be to find a new garage, not necessarily a Peugeot dealer but if you know of a local independent with a good reputation then they might be the ones to choose.

The statement they made about in their experience they fail again very quickly tells me all I need to know about their ability, workmanship and pride in their work and it doesn't impress me at all.

· Registered
1,805 Posts
That's shameful. People who claim to be professionals and hand out advice like that need a slap.

Ask friends, family and colleagues for a reputable garage/mechanic, take the car to them to have a look at it and take it from there. Tell them what the other balloon said about leaving the car as long as possible. If they've got snu credibility, they'll laugh at what was said

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Update

I went to my friends garage who fixed her 206 head gasket and car after it fully went. they said that the leak is near the cambelt and leaking outside of the car and not effecting the fluids. They said it so minor I have nothing to worry about and they would use a sealant.
They said that you cannot replace a head gasket just skim, a repair in my mind.
I saw 'bar leaks' online and they have a head gasket range I think I need an oil one not coolent, any advise guys

· Registered
1,143 Posts
"Bar Leaks" is for water loss,its of no use for oil leaking from the head gasket on TU engines.

The TU engine has to be the most easiest head gasket job in the trade.Make sure a genuine OE gasket is used, as Peugeot modified them some time ago.Peugeot also recommend that new head bolts should be used.To be 100% a head skim would not add a lot to the cost. Naturally when doing this job a new cam-belt kit including water pump would be part of job.

The thing is how much oil is leaking? and is it worth the expense? a few drops of oil down the side of the engine you can live with. BUT? the oil can also leak into the cooling system,check the header bottle. Also the oil can leak into the timing area and contaminate the cam-belt.Its a simple two screw job to remove the top timing cover to check the belt area for oil.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When I asked if the belt is being damaged, they said the belt is being dried out a little and the oil leak is very little. Since my garage have not kept up the gear fluid, it is in for that this week anyway. and he suggested to get it changed at my next MOT at £550 with belt kit. Which all sounded reasonable.
The cheaper option was to tighten the screws and add sealant. but I think if I am paying then I would get more peace of mind for the whole hog.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.