Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed some oil in the coolant holder?

No sign of white around the oil cap and oil on the dipstick appears normal, no sign of oil leaks either.

Car is running fine, no problems with power or overheating and doesnt seem to be getting worse in regards to the amound of oil in the coolant holder.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
a compression check might give a clue. Is the cooling system pressurising enough to seem like its boiling? Is it using water? if not I would think the head gasket is ok. By your post none of these applies anyway. At this point I cant think where the oils come from. David Ireland or Bettyswollocks would be better on this.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
there is a slight oil leak, there are oil stains on my drive, ive been checking oil levels daily isnt losing at noticable amount of oil.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
not fully familiar with the lube system, but if the pressurised oil from the pump travels through the block to the head directly, as in most engines, there is a chance some oil could stray, between the mating faces of the block and the head to the water jacket. meaning a small leak may have developed but not from the cylinders. Its inconclusive but the only way I can see the oil getting to the water. If the water gets to the oil could be a problem.

·
12,095 Posts
I have noticed some oil in the coolant holder?

No sign of white around the oil cap and oil on the dipstick appears normal, no sign of oil leaks either.

Car is running fine, no problems with power or overheating and doesnt seem to be getting worse in regards to the amound of oil in the coolant holder.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks
It could be the change in weather. I used to have an MGF - world renowned for gasket failures - and the MG Rover forum used to be full of people panicking around autumn - winter when the first cold snap arrived because this happened.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
You haven't said which car and engine size the problem is on. It might have some relevance. It doesn't sound too serous at present, but peace of mind helps or you'll be imagining all sorts of things.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
That helps, I was thinking along the lines of a re tighten of the head bolts. Maybe there's scope for it but it would be a shame to disturb them if they aren't the cause. Maybe let it develop and see if it gets any worse? Could be as gibbo says nowt to worry over.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I took to a mechanic early stages of gasket head failure.

So i have traded it in.

Got a 308 SE 1.6 HDi 110 bhp (2008)

54,000 on the clock?

That isnt too high for a diesel engine?

Was told that the peugeot diesel is very good.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts