Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

My car (2002 HDi 110) has an annoying rattle on idle. Its not very loud, and im struggling to track it down. Its definetely from the belt end of the engine; cambelt and tensioners etc are all new, made no difference to the noise at all, aux belt is new as well. Dont think its the aux belt auto tensioner either - it vibrates a bit at idle, but I tried leaning into it with a bar so that it was held still and made no difference to the noise. In my head, this only leaves the crank pulley? I have had it off when I did the cambelt and visually it seemed fine, but guess that doesnt mean anything with any certainty.

It is ONLY at idle - as soon as you increase the revs it stops, does this sounds like it could be pulley related? I think im going to order one up and change it anyway, seems like good practice, just wondering if this sounds familiar to anybody. Its been doing this for months with no change, doesnt appear to be getting worse, doesnt matter if the car is hot or cold.

Cheers
Stuart

·
Registered
51 Posts
I sort of had the same problem on my 307 1.6 hdi, it turned out it was the air box mounting rubbers had dissapared, replaced them no more rattle at idle. Then my old man appeared with the same rattle from his C5 1.6 hdi and guess what, air box mounting rubbers in bits!
wonder if this helps

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
ive the same prob with mine and ive took the aux belt of and guess what no sound so i replaced the two tensioner and still the same i have got a solid pully on mine so ive been told not to change so ive let it be same as you its not getting any worse but if your like me you want to get it sorted once and for all , i'll get round to doing it soon when am not busy if you change yours and it sorts the prob let me know :thumb:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update. changed the crank pulley and put another aux belt on and the noise is gone :D

As for whether it was the belt or the pulley at fault, im not sure. The old belt was only about 10k miles old, but figured I would replace it anyway with the pulley. The new belt was bit tighter going on than the old one was coming off, but even if it was a bit stretched the tensioner should have made up any difference automatically? The pulley, I still couldn't see anything wrong with it but it seems original (definetely very old, car is 52 plate, 110k) so changed for a nice new one anyway. So maybe early stages of pulley failing?

Either way, its sorted, although the noise wasnt huge it was driving me nuts so :D:D

·
Registered
28 Posts
crankshaft pulley

Hi ive got a noise that I suspect is crankshaft pulley.. As you guys have had this problem thought you might be able to help..
Ive recorded the noise im getting if you wouldnt mind having a look?

If you could help that would be great!!

cheers
Phill:)

·
Registered
1 Posts
307 (2006 model) pulley issue?

Peugeot 307 xline: Hi, my 307 (2006 model) keeps cutting whilst I'm driving. I restart it each time and was told it could a pulley problem? Also, its starting to sound like a tractor. I had the alternator replaced 18 months ago and the same mechanic believes that it's the pulley despite the issues (cutting of car) being the same before the alternator was replaced. Is this advice accurate?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts