Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at buying a 2002-2004 2l HDI 307.

I've been doing some reading on websites and forums and was wondering if the extra 20bhp is worth it in terms of the potential extra cost for repairs (eg FAP filter etc).

Basically I'm not massively bothered about performance around town (I spend most of my commute in a traffic anyway) but I do need a car that does okay on motorways (ie isn't too much of a hassle in terms of getting up to lane speed etc and can eat up the miles a bit).

In peoples does the 2l 90bhp do okay in that department, or do I really need to look at the 110bhp?

Any thoughts much appreciated.

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
ive heard that the 110 diesel has a dual mass flywheel that is made of chedder or so they say :lol: in any case it brakes all the time and costs a furtune to fix. but there is a kit to turn it to a stronger and more reliable single mass.

i may be wrong

C

·
0 Posts
I'd go for the 90 and shop around for a nice one. A good 90 feels as brisk as a slightly tired 110 anyway. Neither are rocket ships, but neither have any problems holding their own on fast roads. No FAP, no DMF, and cheaper insurance all make a compelling argument in favour of the 90.

·
Registered
179 Posts
chopper1192 said:
I'd go for the 90 and shop around for a nice one. A good 90 feels as brisk as a slightly tired 110 anyway. Neither are rocket ships, but neither have any problems holding their own on fast roads. No FAP, no DMF, and cheaper insurance all make a compelling argument in favour of the 90.
What he says ^^^ and I put my money where my mouth is and bought one :)

That emissions filter on the 110hp model has the potential to be a real pain in the harris if you do frequent short runs....bloody expensive to sort when it gives up the ghost as well.

Buy a 90 hp and if it isn't quick enough (it will be) stick a tuning box on it and take it up to 110 without all the hassle that comes with the factory 110 ....

Cheaper road tax as well....£110 to £125 ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Many, many thanks to you all for the replies, really useful. Now all I need to do is find a decent 90bhp for sale...

·
Super Moderator
1,747 Posts
I bought a 110bhp and it was one of the best pugs I owned. 120000 miles on the original clutch and flywheel when I changed it. If you are doing motorway journeys every so often you should have no dpf issues and while neither are rocket ships I found the 110 worth every penny as far as the extra power went! Also a guy I work with had a 90 and did almost the same journey to work everyday and I returned between 5-8 mpg more than him as the engine doesn't have to work as hard. I know I'm being out-voted here a bit but I definately wouldn't consider a 90 after owning a 110.

Just my opinion......

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have an HD90 and have to say it is fast enough for me, like all diesels they lag a little.
Big thing is they are cheaper insurance on the 90 and fuel consumption. i always get 50+ MPG and in the high 50's if i try and be good.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'm a new owner to a pug 90 2.0lr hdi (about 3wks).
I have just driven around 400 miles in a round trip to Cornwall (Lands End) and back. I've still plenty of fuel remaining, and was very pleased I can now travel far, without it costing a fortune!
I can not comment about the 110, but was very pleased with the results of my 90. It does pull very well on the Motorway too. So to sum up, a 90 will give you great fuel consumption, and has no problem holding it's own on the fast roads.

Good luck.

·
Registered
62 Posts
the 90 every time, that thing is bullet proof and its cheap to run, insure and tax. whilst on paper it looks low on power its not too bad at all and will cover motorway miles with ease, i am about to buy my second one now after 120,000 miles without a spot of bother.

i'm sure the 110 is just as good but with the added parts that could potentially go wrong its worth just sticking with the 90 and remapping it to 110 if you want the extra power as someone has suggested above.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts