Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this 407 on a 54 plate 1.6 SW (86000 miles on the clock) 3 weeks ago (without guarantee) I was told that a new turbo had been fitted.

I have been having several problems ever since the 2nd week of driving it.

I have had it hooked up to planet and the diagnostic report is in the attached pictures. I also have fault code P0409 come up,
and as of yesterday, a new set of faults showed up on the lcd in the dash: ESP faulty and Depolution system faulty, and it also feels more sluggish since.
I had to change down to 2nd gear going up a hill which i normally did in 5th in my 1.8 petrol 406!

see attached pics and please someone tell me if this is repairable at a reasonable cost.

thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
343 Posts
In answer to your question; yes you have :)

Any car that has had its turbo done rings alarm bells for me as a buyer. I appreciate they go over time but if the car was well serviced and looked after not having the sh*t kicked out of it then there would be no excuse to a turbo longevity. This in turn tells me it is likely the owner did not look after this car and could be subject to further issues including yours.

In relation to your actual issues, depollution will be the particle filter / DPF or more likely related to your PP diagnostic relating to the engine ECU. This fault usually is generic for engine management faults but more than that I do not know.

The ESP / ASR fault, could be a few issues including the sensors or ECU but an expert maybe able to give your more information here on the forum. What does the diagnostic tell you as you havent posted it?

On a side note your VIN is displayed in those images, maybe worth blocking them out to the general public.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Most likely scenario is that the particulate filter is not being regenrated properly due to glowplug fault this in turn could lead to everything else except the abs esp fault which you would need to go into the abs ecu to read properly

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Agree, DPF will not regenerate due to the glow plugs not working properly.

But the EGR surely also can make things much worse if it is stuck in open position.
My car did actually drive quite ok even though my DPF was totally clogged up.

J

·
0 Posts
The ESP/ASR fault can also be caused due to a faulty brake light switch - was the case in mine :nod:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The wierd thing is that the ESP warning came on at the same time as the depollution warning, within 5 seconds of each other

and since then, the performance has been very poor

could these 2 warnings all boil down to one fault?

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Its possible that the underbonnet fusebox is causing the esp abs fault too but no point in guessing check what faults are stored in the abs unit

It could even be a bad earth causing everything as bad earths can do strange things my own car had a bad earth and sometimes it started sometimes it did not temp said overheating stop light on then it would go back to normal 5 mins later overheating again fuel level light on with half tank wipers wiping randomly etc etc :)

D

·
0 Posts
There are no glowplug faults. The egr is sticking on programming as in that fault above. Airflow problems woll not alow regeneration.
Seeing as the car had a new turbo that would definitely set off alarm bells. It crys out of a car that was not minded. Turbos go for a reason on this engine the majority because of rubbish oil and filter change intervals.

Sent from my GT-S5690

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
given the list of faults on the engine ecu (as in my attached pics) if i took it to a mechanic, how much is this likly to cost to fix? and how much could this cost if i took it to a Peugeot dealer? are we talking 10's, hundreds or over a grand?

Will it be likely to need a new EGR valve too? as this is mentiond as a perminant fault too

My local mechanic dose not have planet, but if i gave him my planet test readout, could he fix the problems? or should i take it to a main dealer?

I haven't got a clue as where to start, and i don't have a garage to even try it in, working on my drive way in freezing wet rain is enough to put me off even attempting to fix these faults by myself.

J

·
0 Posts
You're talking hundreds mate, will obviously be more at a dealer, but they should know exactly what to do to fix it, but at a premium rate. I've always used my dealer, and everything has always been fixed from the off.

It may be worthwhile taking it to your dealer for a diagnostic and list of exactly what needs replacing, they'll obviously quote for it, but it will also give you something to ask your mechanic to quote against too.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Start with the relatively cheap things IE glowplugs test them if faulty replace them but bear in mind they can break when trying to remove them :(

EGR says it was sticking while trying to program it may be dirty the electrical side of it could be faulty again try cleaning it first

After those 2 are done take it a good run along the motorway to get it to attempt a regen this may be all it needs

If not it will need another session on planet to get more info

After that it could get expensive

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks for that, this is really helpfull.

I really do want to try taking out the egr valve and glow plugs myself but i'm not sure where they are located.

problem is, my nearest Peugeot dealer is about 15 miles away, and given the sluggish way the car is currently running, i'm worried it my damage even more, i.e. turbo blowing again while driving it up to them.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Looking at your fault codes with the air flow not beeing correct, I think it might indicate that the EGR sticks open and lets a lot of exhaust into the inlet manifold. Then the volume of fresh air metered by the air mass meter will be off compared to reference for the given load and rev range.

Take the EGR off and inspect it, try to get it moving. spark plugs on the 1.6 engine I believe is quite easy to do compared to the 2.0 HDi, so hopefully not a too bad job.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
no more problems, i paid £2500 for the car, and just managed to sell it for £2000 as a px for another 407sw costing £4295,

ok so i paid a further £2295 and lost around £600 but at least i have a newer 57 plate car now with satnav!

full service history and 3 months P&L guarantee

I did find the cause of the above problems, it was the plastic air pipe going into the turbo had come off of the air filter box, when they replaced the turbo, they never tightened up the jubely clip.

The car is running good again and the Depolution and ESP warnings have gone too since refitting this pipe.

But i think i'll be happier spending that extra on the newer model with fsh

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm really happy with my newer 57 plate 407 now, i'm glad i managed to PX the old one for a good price.
i even have an rt4 satnav now.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts