Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, my first post here.

A friend of a friend has given up on her 58 reg 308 and booked scrapmen to pick it up in a few days' time. The reasons she gave up on it are:
  • EML is intermittently on with the infamous Depollution System fault showing
  • A leak has developed somewhere in the cabin so interior gets wet when it rains.
She's happy to sell it to us for the price the scrapmen offered her.

Clearly the best thing to do would be:
  • plug in an OBD reader and the torque app
  • read all the codes
  • go home and google them to decide how serious they are.
But I'm not going to have that opportunity - if I go to have a look I need to be able to decide quickly if I want it.

I can live with the leak (I'm sure I can find it and fix it eventually, even if it's not a pretty fix), and it's the EML I am concerned about.

From a bit of googling the Depollution System fault can be absolutely everything and anything, and people get away with driving with it forever. Has the Depollution System message ever been known to actually mean something dangerous, like brakes, steering etc?

·
3,760 Posts
Hi...its engine related issue that can be an easy fix or not...all depends after reading live codes with peugeot planet...generic readers can lead you astray...even planet will only point you in the right direction..interpeting the reason for the fault is the key....could be sensors or wiring...you may find a member near you who will code read it for you..

·
Premium Member
3,060 Posts
Knowing the code and fixing the fault can be two very different things. But it could also be a very easy fix. I had to give up on our 206 HDi due to a fault, knew what Planet said, but never could find the culprit.
But rest assured, the depollution fault can never be anything which could be a danger to you or anyone else in an immediate sense.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Its not something dangerous to you just the environment but it could be loads of stuff or more than 1 thing causing it different engines have different reasons for throwing up the NESSAGE as thats all it is a message not an actual fault its just silly peugeot speak for SOMETHING is wrong

Get the car if its a can of worms resell it or scrap it worth the risk in my opinion.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your responses so far. I did get the opportunity to visit with my cheap obd reader just now, and I need to let her know tomorrow if I'm actually taking it. Naturally I do bear in mind the limitations of cheap readers that were mentioned above. will google the codes properly later tonight but I'll just drop them here in case anyone has any immediate thoughts. I used torque lite and got the following:
  • Using "show logged faults": P0053 P0014 P0599 in that order
  • Using "show pending faults": P0053 P2626 P0599 in that order
  • Nothing found using historic faults
Any immediate thoughts would be welcome.

·
Premium Member
3,060 Posts
Tried Google?
P0053 is a Lambda sensor heater problem.
P0014 is something to do with camshaft timing.
P0559 is thermostat heater control circuit high, whatever that means.

Diagbox will give slightly more precise explanations.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
will google the codes properly later tonight but I'll just drop them here in case anyone has any immediate thoughts.
Tried Google?
With genuine respect, I did say I would google them:) Nevermind, I appreciate your response anyway.

Thank you everyone else for your responses too - they did inspire some thought. Eventually I started a new thread here, TLDR I bought the car and sold it already.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts