Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 207GT with the optional glass panorama roof fitted. The car is 12 months old. A few months ago I purchased some Thule Aero bars for the roof and two Atera mountain-bike carriers. Works fine, no problems at all.

Two weeks ago we got back from a ride and discovered a large dent in the roof-edge at the passenger-side rear (see photos). I thought someone had walked by and whacked the roof with a fist as there is no damage to the paintwork - just a dent. Yesterday I noticed a very slight dent in the same position on the driver-side of the roof. It's hardly noticeable but is definitely there. I'm suspicious that the roof carriers and bikes have put force on the roof, and as it has a glass roof it may have been weak enough to cause damage.

I phoned the supplier of the racks, and they sort of intimated that in testing they did experience some slight problems with glass roofs, but not specifically the 207. I still think it's malicious damage, but that dent in the other side has me worried. My dealer is raising the matter with Peugeot Technical Dept.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Attachments

G

·
T'is why I use nothing but the official manufacturers roof bars - they cost less in the long run.

I use my 407 with official bars and a Mont Blanc carrier, perfect fit, zilch damage.

PS, what's the max roof payload for a 207 with a glass roof? It's only 40 odd KG on the 407 and roof bars and 2 x bikes would get mighty close to that.

G

·
Just by looking at it i wouldnt say the roof bars did this

They arent in contact with the car apart from the designated load points, also if the load was too great wouldnt that cause the bodywork to bulge outwards not inwards?

Edit: wouldnt the supporting beams which a rack connects to be a bit stronger on a glass roofed car incase of rolls?

G

·
I don't think the cars stutcture is much different, as the glass itself takes a lot of torsional load. Because of this I was thinking the load paths will be different and a combination of a non genuine carrier and 2 bikes might well exceed the roof payload and cause this. That said, looking that the pics more and more this doesn't look like metalwork that has failed or rumpled under tortional stress and looks more like some sod has whacked something against this poor fellers motor.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Stubbo said:
Edit: wouldnt the supporting beams which a rack connects to be a bit stronger on a glass roofed car incase of rolls?
No, I don't think so. The glass roof is an optional extra on the GT and is fitted in the factory. I presume all 207s therefore have the same level of roof strengthening, and it must take account of when a glass roof is fitted?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
chopper1192 said:
That said, looking that the pics more and more this doesn't look like metalwork that has failed or rumpled under tortional stress and looks more like some sod has whacked something against this poor fellers motor.

I'm inclined to agree with that. I'm no physicist in metal structures, but I can't see how torsional stress would cause the bodywork to get sucked in like that. It was the discovery of a problem on the other side that got me worried, and has me puzzled. Perhaps someone whacked both sides!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts