Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought that'd get your attention chaps

My 406HDi, recently purchased has an annoying fault with the clutch pedal. (On this car it's a hydraulic clutch by the way). About 2/3 down the travel there is a sort of stiffness and squeaking which I wondered could be the shaft on which the clutch pedal pivots so I had a go with WD40 and it seemed much better. But now it's a problem again. Given that it's a hydraulic clutch and the piston for the master cylinder seems to be on the other side of the footwell (close to pedal) I am assuming it cant be the clutch actuating mechanism itself as that's 6 feet away on the n/s of the car. The car had a new clutch at 138K and the driver was very careful (138K was it's first clutch). It's just hit 200K miles. Could it just be lubrication of the pedal shaft that's required or has anyone else experienced this problem ?

Thanks as always

SS

G

·
clutch

is it ouside the car the noise comes from or inside. If outside i reckon its the clutch pressure plate. inside not sure.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks chaps

I have traced the noise and it is not coming from inside the cabin, it seems to be just on the other side of the bulkhead from where the clutch pedal is, assume that would be the clutch master cylinder? The car is in A1 condition and did mainly m-way miles for first 150K so for example it burns no oil between changes and mechanically is very quiet and smooth. I don't think it's the pressure plate as the noise is nowhere near the clutch housing and the clutch is fairly new (ish).

Cheers

SS

·
Registered
41 Posts
I can understand the master cylinder leaking past and the clutch not working right, but I have never heard of a noisy master cylinder if you forgive the pun.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Pug

I think it might be the pushrod which goes into the clutch master cylinder, it's not too bad since I oiled the shaft and so I will leave it for now. Did you see my thread re oil ?

Cheers

Andy

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Latest

Turns out I was wrong - it's a cable operated clutch - and spraying WD40 into the cable outer has pretty much solved it - hooray for WD40 !

G

·
Glad its all sorted!

With WD40, black tape and silicone, i dont think there is anything out there that cant be fixed! :lol:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.