Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a 51 plate 206 (first car) so been looking into adjustments to suit. Was looking into hardwiring a Sat Nav, and possibly dash cam(front and rear). Just wanted to know if anyone has done it, and if there is a limit for how many things to hardwire?

Many thanks,

·
Registered
442 Posts
Hello,

I have a 51 plate 206 (first car) so been looking into adjustments to suit. Was looking into hardwiring a Sat Nav, and possibly dash cam(front and rear). Just wanted to know if anyone has done it, and if there is a limit for how many things to hardwire?

Many thanks,
The limit is essentially the spare current capacity between the OEM consumers running off the interior fuse panel and the 'upstream' bigger fuses protecting the +12 feed wiring from the engine compartment to the interior fuse panel.

The items mentioned shouldn't really draw all that much - I'd add one fuse tap, use fuse size smallest of:
*next size up from the sum of what the gadgets draw
or
* one size down from what the wire size used is rated for.

(of course, if sum of draw is bigger than what the wire is rated for, that's ungood :eek:. Probably quite unlikely, but IF, then see if splitting the loads over two fuse taps would help, doing the same calc's for each.

Then split that wire into 2 (same size or add inline fuse, sized to new wire size on any smaller branch) to each gadget if you step down the wire size) and connect to each.
Rear cam is usually powered without issues directly off the reverse light wire (rear light wire bundle to be found along the left hand side, and rear edge, of the boot floor, or by the rear light cluster connectors). If concerned you could switch to white LED bulbs which would likely draw less current (unless you go for something MEGA bright) than the stock incandescents and compensate.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts