Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I have recently purchased a dash cam which needs to be plugged into the cigarette lighter which I don't want to do as I use it often to charge my phone. Does anyone know the best way to hardwire the dash cam? Shall I cut the existing wire supplied and use the wires inside or best to buy another power cable?

·
Registered
350 Posts
I think your easiest and safest option is to buy a 2 port usb for your cigarette lighter. If not it would involve tapping in to another power source on the car and maybe also a ground. Haven't really messed with mine. They can be temperamental.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Find out what fuse powers the cigarette lighter, and use a Fuse Tap adaptor behind the glove box.

Just check if your dashcam is 5v or 12v. A lot of them are 5v and the power cable that comes with it has a voltage stepper in to take it down from 12v to 5v.

If you wire it in directly at 12v, and it requires 5v then you could kill it.

I have a post up here about wiring it into a 2014 308, its goes into detail about all the parts required :)

·
Registered
158 Posts
There's no need to cut the wire on the dash cam, you can buy a female socket for the cigarette lighter plug, and wire it to a live and ground supply. I've just done this myself. I put a switch under the dash, out of sight, so that I can use the dash cam's internal battery or the car's power when the dash cam needs charging.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts