Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys,

Have a 2004 307 that has become very hard to start. It's a 136bhp 2.0 hdi xsi.

I got it in June 2010 and have had the DPF removed due to chugging problem but a couple of months back it started to become hard to start.

It starts but as soon as it does it conks out again.

Has taken up to 34 attempts of this in the past (was a very cold morning) before she starts and then I have to have my foot on the accelerator to make sure I get enough revs on because if I don't it would never start. On a warmish morning I could get in and it'll start first attempt.

Have replaced fuel filter thinking that may have something to do with it but no luck.

I have PP2000 and it's not throwing up any faults and have tried seeing what mbar I get whilst cranking but PP drops out when says no connection when it's cranking.

Any ideas guys because it's doing my head in.

Davy

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
are your glow plugs working properly?

also

is the fuel system keeping its pressure ie no air getting in.

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
ive never tested the glow plugs myself, but basically you disconnect them, pull them out and reconnect to battery and they will glow if working properly. - confirm this first

also you can check for air in the system by looking into the priming bulb (if fitted) on the filter...should be fuel only, no bubbles.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
To test the glowplugs, disconnect the wiring to them, now use a multimeter on ohms setting, one probe on the plug wiring end and one to earth a good plug should give around 5 ohms readout.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Haven't had a chance yet to test the glow plugs. Can anyone tell me where they are?

Also I forgot to add this to my first post. As soon as it starts if I turn the car it will start first time no problem and will be like this the rest of the day.

For example, I start work at 3.30pm. Car is a pig to get started before I go. I finish around midnight and go out to start car. Starts first time no problem but if I go out at 8am the next morning it'll be a pig to start again.

Can't understand it!?!?

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
ive just spotted a thread you made about stuttering, i havnt read it yet so i dont know what it says...but if the car is hard to start and it stutters could well possibly be fuel pressure...air getting into the system somewhere.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
did it start doing this when the weather got cold (ish)?
Yes mate.

ive just spotted a thread you made about stuttering, i havnt read it yet so i dont know what it says...but if the car is hard to start and it stutters could well possibly be fuel pressure...air getting into the system somewhere.
Don't worry about that, that was when I first got the car. Was resurrected by someone else. Long sorted with a DPF removal and remap.

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
yeah no worries, like i say i never read it :lol:

anyways if it started when the weather got cold, does sound like glow plugs.

·
Registered
176 Posts
The low pressure fuel pump in the diesel models can disintegrate (known problem) and block the fuel filter and low pressure pump with crud.

Easy enough to check.
push the rear passengers seats out of the way and raise the carpeting you will see the pump recessed into the floor.

disconnect the (4 wire I think) connector.

Get a cloth and carefully remove the 2 pipes leading to the pump, always Label what ever you remove so as to ensure you reconnect properly.
TIP: mark the pipes and associated connection on the pump with the same symbols, then use your phone camera to take a pic.

Remove the pump and inspect (make photos) check for loose pieces of brass, plastic on the intake side of the pump.

To test the diesel fuel line to the filter for leakages you will need a pressure testing kit complete with a manometer (digital is easiest for this job). If there are any leaks it won't hold it's pressure very long.

Other known probs are bad batteries, when did you last change your battery?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts