Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well if it isn't another problem god sake just got the timing kit in a sounds sweet but now the handbrake, it won't park on a hill I can go right up with the handbrake and it holds only if I'm holding it up aswell ? It's only just started doing it, it's a Peugeot 106 1.1 extra time petrol 1996/7 p reg....anyone help??

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Not familiar with the 106, but it's probable the cable has stretched. Try tightening the adjuster . You'll need to jack up the back wheels and get under the car, so use axle stands if you DIY.

If it's later model, the adjuster seems to be in the car (probably have to lift the carpet or console to access) but the method should be the same.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok pal thanks I'll give it a go am not keen on doing it tho? Is it easy ? Lol but ye some one sed I've probably stretchd it

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well all sorted pal and to jack up and go under take the heat shield off n then tightened it up left the handbrake on 4 clicks but it's worked I went on hill and it's stays still but think on 5 clicks tho should be fine ?

·
Registered
228 Posts
The cables should self adjust a certain amount to account for stretch and wear.

On the models with rear drums, the adjusters always seize up, I've fixed 3 of these in the past 18 months (I'm not a mechanic, these were family's cars so it's a lot ;))

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
The cables should self adjust a certain amount to account for stretch and wear.

On the models with rear drums, the adjusters always seize up, I've fixed 3 of these in the past 18 months (I'm not a mechanic, these were family's cars so it's a lot ;))
The self adjusting mechanism is for brake shoe wear. It won't compensate for stretched cables.
Stretched cables are very rare, normally a sign of imminent failure.

Self Adjusters often are seized, but as a result of sloppy maintenance rather than an inherent design fault. They should be checked along with the rest of the braking system at every major service.

Roger.

·
2,248 Posts
Yep...as above.'.rear brake shoe automatic self adjusters'means ...you have to adjust them yourself...I would in this order...release handbrake adustment..check shoe wear....drum wear..refit drums.adjust brakes using self adjusters to just drag a 'tad' adjust cable...done..
ps..check handbrake cable works both sides>>

1 - 7 of 7 Posts