Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still getting these errors/beeps when starting the car warning of the handbrake being on (getting more frequent now, and does it more often than not). Now this should only alert/beep if I put the handbrake on whilst the car is still moving, yet its coming up when starting parked on the driveway. It only comes on momentarily and disappears again. Now as this should only alert if the car is moving, I presume it "thinks" the car is moving, but I don't see the speedo move at all. I have checked with PP and no faults are present for any ABS sensor.
What else can I do guys.... its extremely annoying on each startup :nod:

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
normal when is little colder cannot do nothing with this
It was doing it in the summer too, but its just doing it a lot more now than then. Didn't do it very much last winter, despite the cold weather.

Brake pad wear indicator--or handbrake warning switch a bit sticky???
The display flashes up "Handbrake!" on the centre display, and the red P in the display between revs and speedo. I can replicate the exact thing if starting to put the handbrake on when still moving.... just can't for the life of me work out why it does it when parked.
I had tried to get to the handbrake switch, but not that easy, and then I thought that if the car isn't moving, it shouldn't make a difference if the switch is on or not.... but it does always show on the dash that handbrake is on when it should be, so presume the switch is working OK.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I'm still getting these errors/beeps when starting the car warning of the handbrake being on (getting more frequent now, and does it more often than not). Now this should only alert/beep if I put the handbrake on whilst the car is still moving, yet its coming up when starting parked on the driveway. It only comes on momentarily and disappears again. Now as this should only alert if the car is moving, I presume it "thinks" the car is moving, but I don't see the speedo move at all. I have checked with PP and no faults are present for any ABS sensor.
What else can I do guys.... its extremely annoying on each startup :nod:
Happens to me sometimes as well, but very intermittent.:confused:
Malcolm.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nope, its still doing it. Did try cleaning around the sensor when replacing the rear discs, but didn't remove it though. Its not the front sensors as both these have been replaced already.

·
5,040 Posts
on 406's the switch under the handbrake used to give issues like this. assuming its got a switch like the old door-pin switches, try giving it a workout, you know in-out in-out in-out, might work

·
5,040 Posts
servicebox reckons a new switch is £3.54, might be worth a try.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
£3.54 for the switch.... and a hard hour to get the console out :mad:

Anyone know the correct way to remove the console? Don't seem to be any screws to me :nono:

·
5,040 Posts
£3.54 for the switch.... and a hard hour to get the console out :mad:

Anyone know the correct way to remove the console? Don't seem to be any screws to me :nono:
Hammer ??:rolleyes::rolleyes:

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
With my patience, it would probably come to that :lol:

Have broken many a thing in the past by not taking my time:eek:

·
5,040 Posts
I suspect you start with the gear-lever gaiter, then the surround.
Then the plastic bit that goes all the way back to the cupholder,and when you get those out you should probably see some screws holding the actual console down

which should............hopefully allow you access to the switch, which is number 2 in this pic

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

I'll give it another go at the weekend... I've removed the gaiters before, but not found the screws securing the console to the floor.... was so much more straightforward in my 306. The switch works, it just puts up the same alarm you get if you apply the handbrake whilst still moving, which was why ABS sensors were originally thought to be the problem, but they all appear to be working fine.

Will report back if I manage to succeed in removing the console..... either that, or a wanted ad for a replacement :lol:

·
5,040 Posts
theres a few consoles on ebay

peugeot 407 console | eBay

might be worth trying to see location points etc from the photo's.....................................just a thought :thumb:

·
Registered
552 Posts
I don't think changing the switch will do you any good. Well, depends on the logic applied I guess.

If the handbrake warning was coming on in motion then yes, it would be the switch for the handbrake.

But you say it's on start up, and stationary. That means your car thinks it's moving, and that information comes from the wheel sensors.

Put your handbrake on a notch or two, and let the car move, you'll get that warning.

Phil

1 - 20 of 22 Posts