Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My handbrake is not working on the left side I have changed the handbrake cable and adjusted near the handbrake but the left rear wheel still turn by hand Even with the handbrake applied Any help appreciated

·
Registered
453 Posts
Assuming that it is discs not drum brakes at the rear the best way that I have found (I've had about 15 Peugeots with rear disc brakes) is to take up as much slack in the disc/pad contact area is to jack the car up at the back and manually move the caliper lever - it must be returned to fully back before levering forward again , this ensures that the caliper piston is moving outwards thus pushing the pads closer to the disc once almost there then take the slack out of the cable at the handbrake adjustment end,
You should have 6-7 clicks on the upward travel of the handbrake lever or it will not take up the slack in the future.
It is a little difficult to explain in writing but much easier in practice to do - hope this at least points you in the right direction
If it's got drums then it's another story !

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
Could be the caliper piston is seized. Does the same wheel lock up when someone presses the brake pedal ? If it doesn't then either strip the caliper and free the seized piston or replace the caliper. Think if I was replacing one I would do them as a pair though to ensure even braking between the two sides.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
does the cable allow the lever to FULLY retract if it does not the handbrake cannot work as it is not being allowed to adjust this is the mistake a lot of people make handbrake is no good so they tighten the cable too much so the levers cannot retract.

BOTH levers must fully retract then you then press the footbrake to adjust the piston THEN you tighten the cable IF needed it is rare to ever need to tighten the cable as all adjustment is done inside the caliper automatically

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cable loosened at hand brake Both levers fully retracted at caliper pressed the footbrake to adjust piston the tightened cable to 5 clicks with handbrake up but driver side handbrake works fine locks wheel but still nothing on passenger wheel can still be moved by hand

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
In that case your caliper is faulty or wound in too much some need to be reset back 1/4 turn some need to be set with a line upwards there are different types over the years

1 - 9 of 9 Posts