Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I just wanted to introduce myself and say that I've just bought a 1991 Peugeot 405 GLX 1.9. The car runs great, but does have issues. the biggest of which is the Handbrake.

The handbrake lever has no resistance/feel to it at all, its as if it wasn't connected to anything. I checked the cables today and found that there was alot of slack and so I tried adjusting it by using the cable equalizer found under the car. But still after this attempt of repair the handbrake lever only has resistance after 8-9 clicks up, even with this the handbrake itself is not engaging.

so what do you guys think? do I have to shorten the cable? replace it? or is the handbrake system broken? :( :confused:

I hope I get a response asap, since I have to use this car as a delivery car and stopping without turning off the car is much needed. I've already done my shift tonight without it working and I had to turn off and on the car so many times that I'm feeling bad for the starter motor.

thanks guys :)

G

·
Not sure if your's is drums of discs on the rear. IIRC the main cable connects to a linkage that in turn operates 2 x seperate cables, one to each wheel. Check this linkage doobrey is clean and properly adjusted.

On discs there's no adjustment at the wheels, so it'll be a case of stripping and rebilding the calipers with new seals. They're notoriously crap.

On drums there may be adjusters on the cables at each wheel.

Good luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had that a few times through my first 405's life, and I had to change the cables, as they were incredibly worn.

So, that's what I think you should do.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
So do you have discs or drums at the rear?

I'm not so sure the cables are gone, unless there is no resistance at all?
As mentioned calipers are really crappy, and if you have drums something with the mechanism inside the drum could have failed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is it possible that one side works while the other side has disconnected?

At the caliper, I can feel tension in my right caliper, but can pull the left side out several cm (didn't want to pull too far in case it wouldn't go back in). I haven't taken apart the center console to look yet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.