Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I ordered a new handbrake cable over the holiday period and finally got round to fitting it yesterday. One of the simplest jobs I've ever had to do, which was nice. However the new cable that I bought doesn't have an adequate seal at the wheel end, so I'm returning it to the supplier. Has anyone done this replacement and found a decent supplier of cables?
I originally didn't realise that two cables were required to do this job (both the same cable) as they run independantly from the handbrake to each wheel. I paid £25 for the cable originally as I thought this was for both. Slightly shocked to find out that two were required!
On the upside, removing the old cable showed that it was full of water, which will have accounted for the freezing up/locking on of the brakes rear brakes when it was very cold. I've tried to get out as much of the water as poss and poured some bike oil down the cable until I can get a decent replacement...

·
Registered
906 Posts
jet said:
Hello all,

I ordered a new handbrake cable over the holiday period and finally got round to fitting it yesterday. One of the simplest jobs I've ever had to do, which was nice. However the new cable that I bought doesn't have an adequate seal at the wheel end, so I'm returning it to the supplier. Has anyone done this replacement and found a decent supplier of cables?
I originally didn't realise that two cables were required to do this job (both the same cable) as they run independantly from the handbrake to each wheel. I paid £25 for the cable originally as I thought this was for both. Slightly shocked to find out that two were required!
On the upside, removing the old cable showed that it was full of water, which will have accounted for the freezing up/locking on of the brakes rear brakes when it was very cold. I've tried to get out as much of the water as poss and poured some bike oil down the cable until I can get a decent replacement...
to be honest, the seal wouldnt help either... the cable have a life of no more than a year. If it lasts more than that without seizing, its a bonus.. you could oil them but due to the water ingress, the rust would not make any difference..

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bettyswollocks said:
They say injecting anti freeze down them helps.
Yeah I did wonder about doing something like this, not sure if antifreeze would increase the chance of corrosion though...

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Scotcruz said:
to be honest, the seal wouldnt help either... the cable have a life of no more than a year. If it lasts more than that without seizing, its a bonus.. you could oil them but due to the water ingress, the rust would not make any difference..
Oh really, how depressing! If the cables were a bit cheaper I'd find that easier to accept, but at £25 a pop and 2 required, this isn't the kind of thing I want to fix every year! The cable that I took off has a really good seal at the wheel end, it's probably the original which must have lasted a few years. Think I'll find try to get these if I can't resolve the issue with the ones I've already ordered.

cheers for info :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts