Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to take the rear drums off today, I don't think the brakes were fitted properly to begin with. With the handbrake off, they are rubbing, I think they should turn more freely. Of course this meant I couldn't get the hubs off.

At the moment the handbrake comes fully on after 3 to 4 clicks.

According the the manual, the handbrake should start to come on at 4 clicks, and be fully on after 7 clicks.

Any thoughts on this welcome. What is the correct handbrake setting for the 106 XN Zest.

·
Registered
695 Posts
as the manual says the brakes should just be starting to rub on the 4th click

servicebox instructions for adjusting the handbrake
screen-shot-04-12-18-at-07-25-.jpg

by the sounds of it though you are going to have to get the drums off and adjust the shoes properly first,making sure theres no major lip on the edge of the drum,,,,before then adjusting the handbrake..

you may be lucky and find that someone has just adjusted the handbrake cables upto tight and slackening them off gives enough play to get the drum off...if not then if its the shoes adjusted to tight

good luck :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
as the manual says the brakes should just be starting to rub on the 4th click

servicebox instructions for adjusting the handbrake
View attachment 76026

by the sounds of it though you are going to have to get the drums off and adjust the shoes properly first,making sure theres no major lip on the edge of the drum,,,,before then adjusting the handbrake..

you may be lucky and find that someone has just adjusted the handbrake cables upto tight and slackening them off gives enough play to get the drum off...if not then if its the shoes adjusted to tight

good luck :)
Thanks Terry,

I think you have nailed it, I need to slacken off the handbrake cable, that might work. Then again it might not make much difference as the brakes are self adjusting and the hubs are old, so bound to have a lip.

My little mickey mouse jack won't lift the car high enough to get under it comfortably so I think I am going to let my local tyre brake and exhaust centre do this one. Then all I have to do is make sure they have done the job properly. :D

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Phoned National Tyres and then Kwik Fit for quotes to replace brake shoes.

National Tyres quoted me £184.00 and Kwik Fit quoted me £110.00

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I gave up on the idea of taking the car to my local Kwik Fit for the moment, I can't give up that easily, so I have ordered a drum puller.

Had a look under the old crate today, I can't see the adjuster nut. If there is one under the body, it must be under the exhaust heat shield.

Or with any luck, I can adjust the back brakes from the centre console, if that's where the adjuster is.

·
Registered
695 Posts
screen-shot-04-14-18-at-08-36-.jpg
screen-shot-04-14-18-at-08-36-1.jpg
screen-shot-04-14-18-at-08-37-.jpg

if push comes to shove and the drum puller doesnt work you always just resort to brute force to get the drum off :)

selection of big flat screwdrivers,chisels,crowbar and a big hammer

have had to do this once before although it damaged and bent the pins and clips holding the shoes they wernt that expensive to replace

another option is to try an get a screw driver through the hole where the wheel bolt is in the drum and wind the internal shoe adjuster back

some cars even have a rubber plug in the backplate you can remove to get to the adjuster from behind..not sure if the 106 has one though

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I had a look in servicebox, just selected a random 106 model with rear drum brakes.

Servicebox says there are no internal adjusters in the drum...??? If this is the case, completely releasing the handbrake cable should allow the drum to be pulled off even if it has a lip on the outer edge.

Must say that not having an internal shoe adjuster seems VERY odd... :eek: or am I just being a senile old git..?? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
695 Posts
I had a look in servicebox, just selected a random 106 model with rear drum brakes.

Servicebox says there are no internal adjusters in the drum...??? If this is the case, completely releasing the handbrake cable should allow the drum to be pulled off even if it has a lip on the outer edge.

Must say that not having an internal shoe adjuster seems VERY odd... :eek: or am I just being a senile old git..?? :rolleyes:
yep your right willNZ there doesnt appear to be any internal adjuster ,,just had a look myself so slackening of the cables should work..

i take it that they cant be self adjusting then???
usually you have the threaded notched wheel with the small spring tensioned arm to catch on the notches and wind the adjuster out as the linings wear down

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Not having an automatic internal adjuster is just gobsmacking! It means that the rear braking effort will slowly diminish over time unless one knows to adjust the cables to keep the rear shoes within striking distance of the drums... exceptionally bad design IMHO :nono:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
View attachment 76225
View attachment 76233
View attachment 76241

if push comes to shove and the drum puller doesnt work you always just resort to brute force to get the drum off :)

selection of big flat screwdrivers,chisels,crowbar and a big hammer

have had to do this once before although it damaged and bent the pins and clips holding the shoes they wernt that expensive to replace

another option is to try an get a screw driver through the hole where the wheel bolt is in the drum and wind the internal shoe adjuster back

some cars even have a rubber plug in the backplate you can remove to get to the adjuster from behind..not sure if the 106 has one though
Thanks Terry,

Just had another look, the handbrake is not under the console, it is on the floor covered by carpet. That means the adjuster nut must be under the floor of the car. A job for a couple of ramps I think. The ramps should give me enough height to get right under it. Maybe I should go to Specsavers while I am at it. :)

I don't think these drum brakes have a wheel adjuster, I had a look on youtube, there is a video for a Citroen Saxo with the same brakes as mine.

I think the puller should work, at least I hope it does, they are only small drums. I have plenty of levering tools, crowbars and club hammers and such like. I might even buy new drums while I am at it. £54 each from Euro car parts. Garage wanted £300 to change the drums as well.

Done the front discs today, they were so easy to do, if only they had discs on the back, it would be a lot easier to sort them.

·
Registered
884 Posts
The hand brake cable adjuster is under the car hidden by the exhaust heat shield.
There are two types of rear brakes,Bosch or Bendix,both have auto shoe adjusters.
The reason the drum wont slide off is because the shoes are bulking on the drum wear ridge.
Slacken off the cable, if that does not work you can relies the auto adjuster with a small screw driver through one of the wheel bolt holes.
Mind you that is a trick job for a Peugeot mechanic.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Thanks Chris,
whos Chris?? :):p

yeh looks like they have a small arm with teeth on the leading shoe as an adjuster
might need to spray handbrake adjuster with wd40 and leave to soak if its underneath the car,,bit of a bad design but you may be lucky and find its not to rusted up
anyway good luck and let us know how you get on

Terry

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

That is correct, there is no internal wheel adjuster that you can access to back off the shoes, worst design ever IMO.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
whos Chris?? :):p

yeh looks like they have a small arm with teeth on the leading shoe as an adjuster
might need to spray handbrake adjuster with wd40 and leave to soak if its underneath the car,,bit of a bad design but you may be lucky and find its not to rusted up
anyway good luck and let us know how you get on

Terry
Sorry Terry, I was talking to my son Chris at the time.

Of course I will let you know how I get on, I nearly gave up for a minute until I heard how much my local exhaust centre was charging to replace the shoes and drums. If I get into difficulty, I can hire a mobile mechanic for half the price those clowns were charging.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The hand brake cable adjuster is under the car hidden by the exhaust heat shield.
There are two types of rear brakes,Bosch or Bendix,both have auto shoe adjusters.
The reason the drum wont slide off is because the shoes are bulking on the drum wear ridge.
Slacken off the cable, if that does not work you can relies the auto adjuster with a small screw driver through one of the wheel bolt holes.
Mind you that is a trick job for a Peugeot mechanic.
Thanks OP, this could mean a trip to the garage after all. That heat shield covers a lot of space under the car. I can see it might be a real pig to remove as the bolts are badly rusted.

·
Registered
87 Posts
yup, a muppet at the mot place snapped those heat shield bolts
..."sorry mate"

so, in the end I just cut the carpet all the way down with a stanley knife
it made accessing and replacing those bolts real easy.. from the inside

My hubs wouldn't come off.. so in the end I used a hub puller
job done..

The adjusting the handbrake is the easy peasy bit , when the shield is off

Good luck
Liam
16022015(005).jpg

16022015(010).jpg

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
yup, a muppet at the mot place snapped those heat shield bolts
..."sorry mate"

so, in the end I just cut the carpet all the way down with a stanley knife
it made accessing and replacing those bolts real easy.. from the inside

My hubs wouldn't come off.. so in the end I used a hub puller
job done..

The adjusting the handbrake is the easy peasy bit , when the shield is off

Good luck
Liam
View attachment 76249

View attachment 76257
Thanks Liam,

Looking at those pics, I can see you had some right fun and games getting at the handbrake adjuster.

I think I might need a flex head ratchet spanner to get at the adjuster nut, if I can ever get to it. Can you remember what size the nut was.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Cheers Liam, I thought it might be something like that. I might even need a 13mm deep socket and a ball joint socket.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts