Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, 1st post in this forum.

The electronic handbrake has recently started to lock on. Meaning it will not release when I try to move off.

I have used the small cranked tool to release the brake a couple of times...but the problem re presents.

Yesterday was the worst. When I stopped on a hill it decided to lock solid. Thankfully I had my wife in the car and she was able to sit in the driving seat whilst I released the hand brake.

So...I cannot trust the car to go anywhere incase I am alone in the car and this happens again on a hill.

The warning lights showing were the handbrahe error lighht, esp and 1 other which I can't remember.

I have seen that the switch is replaced by people, but don't know if this is related.

What does the cranked tool do to release the brake?

Any suggestions would be helpful. If it helps, the car is also running badly and the fan comes on all the time. The battery is new so does not get run down by the fan which remains on for about 10 minutes after I take the key out.

This is a great car when it runs well (my other car is a 5 litre Mercedes, so not feint praise)...but the poor running engine is a repeating problem which no one seems to be able to fix. It has had a new coil fitted to one spark plug...that helped for a while.

·
3,831 Posts
Has your issue been resolved and has anyone looked at the back brakes?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Has your issue been resolved and has anyone looked at the back brakes?
Thanks for the reply.

No, not resolved. And not looked at. Frankly I'm afraid to drive it in case I get stuck on a sloping junction with no one in the passenger seat to help.

·
3,831 Posts
I would jack the back wheels off the ground and operate the handbrake several times to see how reliable it is...it may even have a faulty switch..there will also be a solenoid that might need lubricating...can you deactivate the 'hill start assist' in the main menu...I had a model as yours but cant remember....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have sorned the car and will drive my other car until such time as furlough is gone and I am driving more than 3 days a week.

I should add that when the hand brake fails to release there is no sound from the back of the car. It's as if the brake does not know to release. So, could it be the actual switch? These seem to get replaced a lot and there are videos showing how it is done.

When I use the cranked emergency release through the hole below the passenger side seat...what is it doing?

Is this progress? A failed handbrake stopping a car from being operational?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts