Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so for those of us stuck with the yellow halogens on the new 308's, who didn't get the LED/xenon lights. Im going to try and find a solution.

Halogen lights on cars that just have halogen lights are fine. However, as my car has LED DRL's and Halogen lights on the front. I think the yellow looks a bit dated when on at the same time.

So i have been looking at various ways of resolving this. I know that due to the technology there are limitations of light colour, and I am not willing to go down the HID upgrade route do to potential issues, and legality issues.

So, first step (and hopefully last) was to find a decent bulb. As far as I know, my car is still running standard OEM headlights, I have never thought they are too dim or anything, I just dont like the colour. This is purely a vanity issue rather than a performance issue :D

So a while back i was looking at Philips Blue Vision Ultra bulbs. These look light the best option, as they claim to be the closest bulb to white light (dont let the blue in the name deceive you) whilst still being 'road legal'

However now all the bulb sites are talking about these new Philips WhiteVision Xenon look bulbs. (Although they seem to be nearly a year old, i had never heard of them.) These bulbs are the replacement for the bluevision ultra. And not only do they claim to be the best in class for white looking light. They also claim to give up to an extra 60% light on the road.

Philips WhiteVision Website

Now I know a lot of these bulbs claim to be everything, and in reality can be a bit of a let down. So I did a bit of research. I must have watched about 30 youtube videos of bulb comparisons and tests, and it seems like these bulbs really do the job.

Probably one of the most useful places to visit is a Citroen DS3 owners forum where people have spoken about these bulbs, and have put up photos and videos comparing them to standard.

DS3 Owners WhiteVision

Anyway, so I have taken the plunge and ordered some of amazon. I got a full set (2 x H7 and 2 x H1) ((also includes some white sidelight bulbs which are no use to me whatsoever)) for about £32.

The reviews on amazon nearly put me off, as there are as many poor reviews as good ones. They are sold by the 'official philips' store on amazon, so are unlikely to be fake. So I can only imagine that the bad reviews are people putting these bulbs in 1995 Corsa's with knackered batteries and alternators expecting to light up the road like a set of 2016 Mercedes Xenons!

Anyway, the bulbs will be with me at some point this week. I will take a before / after photo, but to be honest I am unlikely to mess around changing one at a time, and showing you the car with one of each time in each side. Ill just do them all at once! Hopefully the results will be enough to convince anyone looking!

Anyways, hope this helped, I'm now off to the car to try and remove the inner door card to look at adding lights, and replacing the speakers! Wish me luck! :thumb:

·
Registered
228 Posts
I know it's a personal thing, but what's wrong with the speakers? I'd also appreciate a photo of the speaker unit, if you don't mind.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont have the upgrade audio, the speakers are ok... But if you turn it up over 20 (out of 30) it just seems to go crappy. The speakers are only cheap material ones, so even a cheap set of metal cone speakers will sound better and produce better bass without sounding like they are falling apart. I have always upgraded the speakers in my car, and then when i get another car with standard speakers in, i notice that they aren't so good...

Anyway, good news, I got the door card off fairly easily, and I took photos the whole way. I will try and turn this into a guide at some point today / tomorrow.

The speakers in this car as standard are about 2cm thick from front to back! No wonder they don't sound so good. There is clearance for at least double the size, maybe even triple. The speakers (as normal) will need some kind of adapter bracket. The tweeters up by the door handle will be a lot more difficult to replace, as they are custom shaped, to lock into the door card. And they actually come off with the door card when it is removed!

Pictures to follow on another thread.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
898 Posts
How did I miss your whole post on these bulbs? If I had seen you already recommended them, I would have not thought twice about buying them!

Ah well, they are on their way to me now! Will see how they look afterwards!

...must be an age thing as you 'liked' my first post on the 8th Feb...:rolleyes:

You will be well pleased. :thumb:

Al. :nod:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi Paul, I have the Active 1.6HDi too and am also disappointed I missed out on LED headlights. :(

I came to the same conclusion as you and I bought the WhiteVisions a couple weeks ago and I think it is probably the closest you can get in terms of white halogens.

Hope it's what you're after too! :thumb:

P.S. What did you buy the H1s for?

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Paul, I have the Active 1.6HDi too and am also disappointed I missed out on LED headlights. :(

I came to the same conclusion as you and I bought the WhiteVisions a couple weeks ago and I think it is probably the closest you can get in terms of white halogens.

Hope it's what you're after too! :thumb:

P.S. What did you buy the H1s for?
There may always be an option to add them at a later date :thumb:

The H1's are for the main beam, H7 for the dipped. (At least that is what I found out online... You are making me doubt myself with that comment now) :D

Anyway, apparently they will be here today so I will know soon!

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My handbook shows the halogen headlight bulbs as:

NB: As with all halogen bulbs DO NOT TOUCH THE GLASS ENVELOPE WITH YOU BARE HANDS/FINGERS as that can cause the bulb to blister and fail and it will not be covered by the warranty.
Strange... Everything I have found online seems to suggest that they are H1 / H7 combos.

I guess Ill find out later. May have to send them back and re-order correct ones :confused:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Strange... Everything I have found online seems to suggest that they are H1 / H7 combos.

I guess Ill find out later. May have to send them back and re-order correct ones :confused:
I haven't actually taken the main beams out and checked but according to the manual and also this "bulb checker" site Osram - Vehicle Lamp Finder , it should be HB3

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I haven't actually taken the main beams out and checked but according to the manual and also this "bulb checker" site Osram - Vehicle Lamp Finder , it should be HB3
Right then you smart arses! You were both right and I was a muppet.

I checked 3 different sites, bulbs by reg and they both showed me H1 - H7. I think this is due to them not realising that there has been a change since the last 308. (DAMN YOU PEUGEOT FOR USING THE SAME MODEL NUMBER AGAIN) :D

Anyway, the H7's are in. Its really sunny here for some reason :confused: so I dont know how they look.

Replacing the headlights on this is an easy job compared to my 207 that i used to have :D

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OK, so the dipped beam whitevision are in. I did not know how difficult it was to get a photo of a light source in the dark! The photos on my phone look crap, and do not do the bulb justice. I will upload them anyway until I get chance to take a photo with a decent camera.

In my opinion, the new bulb look amazing, very white. The light on the road does not look too different, but thats not really what I was after anyway. Ill get a better idea when i drive somewhere dark. (Milton Keynes is very well lit).

Here are my crappy comparison photos! Driver side is Original (left side on photo) Passenger side is new WhiteVision (right side on photo)

·
Registered
898 Posts
Hi Paul, photos at night are good for showing the range and spread of a beam but to show any colour variation with white bulbs I find it better to take the photos in slight shade or subdued daylight.

At night the glare just overtakes the exposure settings and nullifies any difference.

This is my Peugeot 2008 with BlueVision Ultra in the Main Beam (left) and OEM Halogen (right) in the Dipped beam:

This is WhiteVision (left) Dipped Beam and BlueVision Ultra (right) Main:

Night-time shows the WhiteVision beam range and spread:

Shame my daughters car was in the way of the drivers side.

These were some examples from my earlier thread regarding upgrading halogen in the Main and Dipped beam headlights I mentioned: http://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/308-2014-122/headlights;-main-beam-dipped-beam-202610/

NB: In my opinion the Philips WhiteVision are definitely the ones to go for. You won't be disappointed.

Al.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts