Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the missus took her car for an MOT at Halfords and they failed the car on Lower ball joint rubber boot (cuts to both joints) and decided to tells her she needed new lower arm & ball joints @ £147 for each side :lol:

I have never had someone try to mug me before, normally because they don't like the look of me but they obviously thought her indoors would just pay up. Bought some genuine ball joints but was tempted to just change the boots just so I could tell them it was £2 a side to fix.

Robbing b****rds

S

·
0 Posts
They weren't much better when they were nationwide autocentres either!

Only chain that i've found to be any good so far is national tyres

·
5,028 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I had already purchased genuine ball joints fro Peugeot for £32 when I found out about the rubber boots. I tried a few different sizes that a friend of a friend brought over but none of them fit just right so settled in the end to use the ball joints.

Ridiculous though that they were trying to get my wife to have the lower arm and ball-joint. I had heard a few time that they were not the best & this confirmed it so once bitten twice shy.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Why did they want to change the lower arm ? the ball joint screws into the bottom of the hub. its not part of the lower arm.

its a bit like selling you a wheel because your tyres are bald.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I honestly do not know why they are trying to make the lower arm part of the repair other than they thought they could pull the wool over my wifes eyes. I rang them and asked him to explain the fail and cost and he sounded nervous, he stated that this was how they repaired them which makes absolutely no sense at all and then admitted that they knew you could repair with rubber shoes but he said they didn't do that.

It is back in for it's re-test on Monday, I will be there this time and will wait until it is passed before asking them why it was they are trying to say the lower arm would be replaced for a fail on the rubber boot on a ball joint.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Did they quote for the lower arms on paper ?

If they did i'd be tempted to push them into a free m.o.t because they have tried to false sell something that did not need changing.

grab the manager and mention trading standards / vosa.. they dont like either one visiting them.

doing it at the till in front of other customers is nice too :)

·
Registered
430 Posts
Just had wifes Fabia MOT'd ay local Halfords service centre . Nice guys & excellent price & service ( £27.00 )

Passed OK but strange advisories ... Chipped screen ---been there 8yrs & not anywhere near swept are , also very small .

front indicator bulbs losing their yellow coating . Checked at home , never seen such bright yellow indicators ????

small rubber chip out of one tyre ... Cant see anything , must be tny !! ( However quote for new bulbs & tyres given along with invoice ( ooooh Crafty !!!):rolleyes:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts