Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
11,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Halfords Autocentre fined £47,000 following undercover sting
The company failed to fix 11 out of 20 defects deliberately left by Trading Standards

An illegal Vauxhall Astra with broken or missing light bulbs, irregular tyre pressures, oil leaks and faulty windscreen wipers was sent to the Halfords Autocentre in Filton, Bristol by South Gloucestershire Council for a major service at a cost of £235.
Lee Reynolds, for the council, told North Avon Magistrates’ Court: “It became obvious that not all the checks were done.
“Things were ticked as having been done that had not been and the consumer was not made aware (of the defects).

Halfords Autocentre fined £47,000 following undercover sting

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I worked for Halfords as a technician in the early '90s the last time they set up service centres.
When I started they paid decent wages and sent the techs on courses at the AA school at Keyworth. We were expected to work to a high standard, we must have done things right at the Margate branch, we had one of the best repeat customer ratings in the country.
But a new management regime put pressure on us to do more work to customers cars, whether or not it was needed, heedless that we could be just as busy doing necessary work to previously satisfied customers.
Looks like Halfords has learned nothing about how to run a car repair workshop, and the bean counters hold sway, demanding short term profits over long time growth.

Roger.

·
Registered
364 Posts
The only thing that surprises me is that it wasn't the other way round as garages typically do work that isn't necessary. There again the state my 206 was in when I got it and it had only passed the MOT the day before I bought it don't know how as some faults were bordering on dangerous.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts

·
11,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A spokesman for Hellfrauds said: "its not our fault, we normally look for items which are generally OK and tell the customer that they need replacing" :)

Or is that QuackFit?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts