Peugeot Forums banner

GTI 270 cold start high idle speeds

10K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  Rickie88 
#1 ·
So every few weeks my car stops starting normally and staying on 900 revs and decides to idle at about 1300/400 with loud popping crackling coming from the exhausts. After about 2 or 3 minutes it will go back to normal.
So far it's been happening about 9 days on the trot now.

Any one know the reason it does this?
Videos in the link

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9o799UyV1tM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gFHOZJJRuwI

#2 ·
My RCZ always starts from cold like this. I have an aftermarket exhaust on and it's really loud from a cold start. Settles down normally after about 1/2 minutes.

Next time I start it I'll see where it idles.

Does yours usually idle from cold at 900 then? or is that after it's warmed up?
Petrols do always run rich and idle high when cold for a certain period.

#3 ·
Yeah mine usually starts normally and goes straight to 900 revs. I would get the odd few days it would fast idle like this and sound like this.

But this is constantly happening now alot more frequent and like I said it's been about 9 days in a row starting like this.

#9 ·
My Gti never had one cold start from new, had my 1st service April and ever since cold starts at least 5 mornings a week. Every performance car I've owned had cold starts, long as it settles down after min or two it's normal. Shame the stock exhaust never sounded like that all the time in my opinion

#13 ·
Few different opinions here then, I am guessing it's a thing this engine does tho judging by the responses and similar vids on YouTube.

I have taken it to a dealers garage for them to look at. They kept it overnight but the car started normal. (Typical) I showed them my videos of how it sounds but they wouldn't accept it unless they heard it themselves.

#17 ·
Pretty sure that they will say it is due to the design and highly tuned nature of the engine. As far as I am aware all GTis do this. As do many other petrol cars which are highly tuned.

Mine does thus just about every evening in the works car park, and on occasion in the mornings. I'm no expert but have read that it is due to the variable valve timing and I think it is also linked to certain atmospheric conditions picked up by the sensors.

I wouldn't worry about it.

#16 ·
Tell them to keep it over night or the problem won't be recreated.

As mentioned tho when I took mine in for this problem before they kept it in but the car started normally. (So they told me)

Does your car do this frequently?
How often do you get a normal start?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.